Meter seals

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see in the latest edition of "Switched on" (the electrical safety publication) they are finally looking into the safety issues of changing consumers while unable to (officially) isolate the supply.

Theres nothing definate yet but it sounds like permission will given to "Competent Persons" to remove and possibly re-seal the supply.

About blooming time I say, this harks back to the days when the "Electricity Board" in each region thought they were the "Electric Police" .

I presume a switch was not incorporated downstream to discourage meter fiddling but today H&S rules.

I say bout time too likewise, have to wait and see if it happens. I will never risk playing with live tails. I always replace tails with 25mm if existing is 16 or 10mm from meter that way at least consumer side is up to regs and then seal main fuse and meter that way I feel I have left installation in a safer condition than what it wss before I started.

Batty

Likewise - I will not deal with live tails. However occasionally we have come across old metal clad fuses which I'm too scared to touch! I suggest that you should only pull fuses if you're confident nothing can go wrong!

Classic at my uncles house, no seals on meter or main fuse, so went to pull the ****** out and i couldnt withdraw it more than a quater of the distance, so had to do live install to meter but i made sure i was concentrating.

i cut anything to do the work but on the other hand i have no problem working live either,

I see in the latest edition of "Switched on" (the electrical safety publication) they are finally looking into the safety issues of changing consumers while unable to (officially) isolate the supply. Theres nothing definate yet but it sounds like permission will given to "Competent Persons" to remove and possibly re-seal the supply.

About blooming time I say, this harks back to the days when the "Electricity Board" in each region thought they were the "Electric Police" .

I presume a switch was not incorporated downstream to discourage meter fiddling but today H&S rules.
Disscussions have been taking place for about two years now on this very issue, however the problem that was highlighted was the fact that some electricians who are now part p registered have no formal electrical training which has caused a delay in any of the dno's allowing permission.

Just goes to show that, with the implimentation of part p the scheme providers have made serious mistakes in allowing people who know nothing about electrical installations, passing a simple intelligence test to gain part p recognition.

I apologise to all those who are now part p recognised, I definately do not lay any blame at your feet, its the fact that the government have implicated another scheme that is open to abuse, and allowed untrained personel to carry out works that should be fully trained.

The simple fact that you are members of this forum would to me, suggest that you are not the normal 5 minute wonders, and would like to learn, and if unsure ask, for that I would respect you all, that fall into this catagory.

The other reason for any dno objecting to competant persons doing any work on the dno side is the end of loop or loop in out supplies which are common in the uk, work is always live and to turn some one over on a 400v plus electrical supply means you have to be sure the person working on it is fully trained and definately is not working alone.