Meter Tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does everyone change meter tails from 16mm to 25mm when doing a board change?

I understand 16mm tails will take 87A but am sure this house has got a 100A fuse, but i will never pull anywhere near 87A. Do you still have to upgrade?

Thanks

If its just tails straight from meter then I always upgrade regardless. If its a submain then i look into it a bit further but msotly get left as they are design for the protective device and its not likely to be uprated.

I always upgrade the tails.

Now persuading the DNO to also upgrade the tails from the head to the meter to match is another matter. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

:slapRefer to regulation 433.2 you can leave the 16mm tails unless the total load exeeds 87amps - same principal as a 32amp circuit breaker and a 2.5 cable feeding a spur given that the cable is only rated at a max of 27amps.

This tails 'lark' is a pet hate of mine.

Only yesterday a watched a linesman pull a nice new 16mm split con into a a new meter box I provided. He couldn't believe I had 25mm tails at the ready.

Its ludicrous that 25mm is required each and every time on new properties. We should be able to take into account the size of cable provided by the dno.

dave

I upgrade tails from the meter to the CU. It may not always be necessary but I do anyway.

Ian

I generally change them unless they come up or down the cavity but thats a different story. After all they may have been in 30 or 40 years so are probably past there sell by date anyway.

Latest posts