More Car Woes - Fed Up :(

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When SWMBO's VW touran had a new EGR fitted, the independent garage that fitted it, ran through the calibration routine on his Snap On diagnostic tester.

So I would have thought any decent garage with such a tester could calibrate it without you having to go to a main dealer.

Well, took it to Ford dealers today and they put the diagnostics on, updated the PCM (ECU?) and reset the EGR valve. £42. drove it 100 yards and it was struggling although engine light was off. Drove it the 17 miles back home and it was just the same. Just been down to the allotment and the light is back on.

Don't know what to do. Can't sell it like that. Don't even know if I can trade it in with engine light on.... catch 22.

really cheesed off. Supposed to be going down to Devon on thursday.... not sure if the jalopy will make it

I'd take it back to Ford and tell them it's now their problem as their equipment diagnosed the problem, they have supposedly sorted it for which you've paid for their service and they failed. Let them get on with it.

Thats what I thought TBH  Revo .you've paid them to  calibrate or whatever they did  and its no different .

All this electronic crap they stick in these days ....never had this problem with a trusty Cortina.    Re- gap the points with a fag packet and double it over for the plugs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Where was that pic taken?

I've had 2 Cortina's in the past. the older one was the better one. The newer one had one of those new fangled automatic choke things, before they had worked out how to make them work.  Started fine from cold, but it could be a ****** to start when warm (not hot)

Funny you mention DPF, when I took it to work and the guys there plugged it in it came up with something about DPF. But this car doesnt have one and never has. German cars yes but expensive to buy, hold their price well and a lot for parts. stumped with this one

Maybe thats whats missing lol. All I have heard about DPF's is that they are trouble, bit like EGR's then :(

more digging

05 1.6 Engine System Failure on 115PS - WorkshopTech We have seen LOADS of focus with throttle body, throttle sensor and wiring and connect problems. Ford wiring is above only french cars and chryslers in the cheap and nasty league. The connector pins arent properly plated so if a bit of water gets into the connector they corrode. The throttle bodies are a bit cheap and often the mating surface is not machined flat so can leak air. remove and replace the gasket, with some jointing compound if necessary. Throttle pedal sensors also prone to early failure. Most ford dealers are pretty hopeless at anything other than oil filter and brake pad changes. Take the car to an independent repairer who is interested in your custom and should charge less than £110 for a simple code read.

Well, got here Ok only had to re set about 20 times. Avoided Rhuallt Hill by heading straight down the 470 and over the bridge. Free to get out of wales but £6 to get back in..... and its all uphill on the way home....