Moving A Consumer Unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz68

Reaction score
I am a new electrician, passed my course last year and would like some advice on how to move a CONSUMER UNIT.  A client has had a new door way cut in a wall which is going to be a new granny flat ( it was a gym and storage area), there is a separate CU for this flat, but the armour cable and tray plate for it cut right across the new door way, there is no slack in the armour cable to lift it higher, so would have to move the CU to the other side of the door way but the existing wiring feed strait into the old unit. Could any one give me an idea of the best way to solve this, can you run new wires to where the old unit is and connect into the old wiring  via wago connectors, is this acceptable. CCTS would be LIghting, Socket ring and outside lights. under floor heating ccts can be extended at the contactor without too much trouble.

Where does this armoured originate from?

What size is it?

What is the earthing type?

Is it actually a private sub....or DNOs?

How much experience do you have?

All of the above can seriously affect the outcome!

Just saying

chop it off...

wago or crimp...

Bit of PVC tape..

Jobs a goodun!  :popcorn
Found some 400mm crimps in the back of the garage yesterday whilst looking for my belt sander

I now have loads of lugs and STILL no belt sander

Just saying

:C

I got a belt sander but can never find the right sized belt for it :(

As for the cable if its SWA then extending it shouldn't be a problem if its PILCSWA or something then its best left alone or get the dno out to move the head @ £XXXX