Multimeters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusebox

Reaction score
Don't know how many guys on here use them on everyday working but if so, anyone got a decent brand to recommend that gives accurate readings? Seen a lot but priced a bit too cheap to believe their anymore than a volt/continuty tester. Thanks!

Fluke 87V or 289 for me from current product.

See MM for a forum discount, and for a bit more detailed advice, as it really depends on what you want to measure, and to what level of accuracy.

Do alot of work on controlled entry systems, needs to pretty accurate when measuring ohms over long distance runs etc basically a meter that doesn't ******** me on the job haha, thanks alot will have a look at the fluke range!

Fluke 73 for me, years old, battered as hell, but reliable.

the cheap ones tend to get very inaccurate when the batteries are getting low, but don't warn you, and eat batteries like they are going out of fashion.

but as already stated they are NOT for insulation or continuity checks on electrical installations, use the right tool for that. 

Trust me I get where you's come from regarding what testers, simply use the multi meter as more handy for tight board cupboards etc. much appreciated though!

You need to be sure what you want to measure and to what spec.

The 80 series models had open circuit voltages that were <1.3V d.c. on some models & <7.9V d.c. on others.

Below you can see that the resistance specs on the 289 & 1653 vary greatly. - No you can't it won't display so I've deleted it!

You need to remember that testing for BS7671 requires in 621.2.1 that the testing OCV is between 4 & 24V d.c., & the SCC is > 200mA, a range of 0.2 to 2Ω with a resolution of 0.01Ω.

BS EN 61557-4 applies as revised for new equipment.

Thus the 289 would not be suitable officially for testing for compliance with BS7671.

However, I use one regularly for fault finding, but not for compliance certification!

Resistance Specs.pdf

Attachments

• Resistance Specs.pdf
    31.8 KB
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting the difference! Probably should have mentioned that 99% of my work is fault finding as its all repair based. Thanks but.

TBH,

For fault finding on general electrical installations a neon is almost all you need for voltage identification, or something like a KEW 1700/1710.

A DMM is an overkill TBH, it only comes into its own on control / automation systems.

What difference does 220 or 250 V really make?

Canoeboy said:
1. Prove NEON on Live Circuit first (This assumes you survive this step to proceed to step 2)

2. Isolate the supply (circuit)

3. Test the isolated circuit with the said NEON

4. If NEON doesn't light up then circuit is dead

5. Use wet finger to confirm the NEON was correct (IF NEON was bad and still alive proceed to step 6)

6. If you felt a Tingle or Got a BELT then go back to Step 1 and get a new NEON

6b. If still alive proceed to work on DEAD circuit

7. If circuit is not DEAD then you may be - See point 5

Errors and Omissions Accepted

Not for DIYers or Students
Im loving step 6

just not sure what version though,  :|

I wasn't meaning how to test if a circuit is dead, with a neon (that's what the flick test is for) :innocent

I was meaning tell me how to find a wiring fault with a neon, on a dead circuit.

Could someone correct me if I am incorrect, but was

it the case that the only Multimeter suitable (and safe)

to use for mains testing was the AVO 8 or 7 because

it, unlike so many other meters, had short circuit

protection?

The old analogue avo's had a trip, that was actually a mechanical release if the pointer hit the endstop a bit too hard.  I still have my Avo 8 (and my wind up Megger) but don't use them any more.

Most decent digital mutimeters have protection and won't self destruct if say you connect them to 240V while on the :eek:hms  range (how do I know that) but I doubt the cheap ones are so well protected.