Naughty Megger Mft1720

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal Roberts

Reaction score
2 wire phase and earth trips mcb when looping at lights, if i reverse no trip and successful loop reading i.e.: Phase / earth connected on megger as normal colour co ordinated leads to points on megger, then only way to not trip mcb is to (at the lighting point) put phase lead from megger to earth and earth lead to phase at light, if i test per phase correct it trips , anyone else experiencing this on the MFT1720 

http://uk.megger.com/support/faqs/loop-testing/

on megger support says clearly 2-wire test At a light switch a neutral is usually not available so a 2-wire test is easier for testers without 3 hands

If it's 6A, doing Zs with 2 leads (high current) most testers will trip it out. Use 3 leads.

I didn't think the Megger 17xx series does 3 wire loop tests?

Not looked at the manuals mind, my LTW425 only does a 2 wire non trip test, & that does not trip 30mA when connected conventionally.

I didn't think the Megger 17xx series does 3 wire loop tests?

Not looked at the manuals mind, my LTW425 only does a 2 wire non trip test, & that does not trip 30mA when connected conventionally.
My 1720 does 2 high and 3 low

kind of defeats the point in having a 2 lead test so that it will work on a light switch with no neutral...
Agreed

My 1730 does high and low, only uses two wires, and works perfectly. Try reading the makers manual.......

Different lead setup for the high current test..... You are doing it wrong......

john...
My 1730 used to be 2 wire only, after one of the software updates it was 2 or 3 wire.  before the 3 wire update i had to reverse L + E (under Meggers instruction)  to stop tripping some RCDs.  I should check to see if there is a manual for my version.

2 wire phase and earth trips mcb when looping at lights, if i reverse no trip and successful loop reading i.e.: Phase / earth connected on megger as normal colour co ordinated leads to points on megger, then only way to not trip mcb is to (at the lighting point) put phase lead from megger to earth and earth lead to phase at light, if i test per phase correct it trips , anyone else experiencing this on the MFT1720 

http://uk.megger.com/support/faqs/loop-testing/

on megger support says clearly 2-wire test At a light switch a neutral is usually not available so a 2-wire test is easier for testers without 3 hands
Can you remember the make of MCB?

If the Instruments test current is DC and the MCB's coil is wound the other way around, as some are, then swapping the leads out will allow the test to be completed.

The manufacturers do not give details of the test current in general but i assume Megger must use DC.

My 1730 does high and low, only uses two wires, and works perfectly. Try reading the makers manual.......

Different lead setup for the high current test..... You are doing it wrong......

john...
Mine does 2 low/2 high and 3 low. 

2 high will trip a 6A RCBO , my old robin tester used to drop out a 10a MCB on test.