Need to add another single socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiz

Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie here. Was told this is the best forum to ask an electrical question, so here goes.

I have a spur off a double socket on a ring main - the spur goes to a 30A junction box (under floor boards) and then on to a FCU then a single socket. The FCU carries a 13A fuse.

The junction box i believe was put in place due to the spur cable being too short, so the JB was added to allow further length to the spur.

Now my question is - can i add another socket off the junction box as long as the cable that goes from the JB goes to a 13A FCU, then a single socket.

The cable is 2.5mm T&E. The house is a small house and the cable from the ring main to the spur is at most 5m in length. Its from the Living room, to the above bedroom.

Personally, I think everything is ok, as everything is fused and mathmatically correct, but i still may be wrong

There's a drawing here >> https://ibb.cos51P6sW

Any help is greatly appreciated

Its a bit odd  .  The 13A  spur  needs to be in the leg coming from your twin socket  really,   then the possible load  is limited to 13A  .      Why not fit new twin sockets , in today's world a single socket is not much use .   

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the original leg from the double socket had a 13a fused spare (black ink in drawing) I want to add another socket (green ink) or should I take 2nd socket from the original FCU (black ink) then that will limit all to 13amp.