New Batteries For Dewalt

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
hi all,

My 12v stuff is all dead but not really wanting to get new ones, i can replace the inside but can someone send me a link to the correct cells i need to purchace.

many thanks

Paul

I was in a similar situation and it was about as cheap to buy a new drill with a couple of new batteries than replace the old ones.

Not seen the individual cells for sale. If you can open on up are there any marking on them?

Yes you can I've done it............there's plenty of articles on how to on YouTube. There are even eBay sellers who will repair your pack. What is the current battery technology? NiCad, NiMH? I'm presuming if older then it won't be Li-Ion.  A couple of things to watch out for, the individual 1.2V cells inside (often sub-C size) are connected together with straps (nickle plated I think) that are ORIGINALLY spot welded onto the cell casings. If soldering you need a high heat iron so you  don't keep it on there for too long or you can damage the cells! Some cases are screwed together and others glued so need "cracking". Keep the old Makita 12V ones knocking around in the van for long enough and they come unglued anyway! 

On the plus side (no pun intended), say the current cells are 1.3Ah NiMH, you could replace them with like 4.3Ah versions for more than three times the run time. Of course they may take longer to charge depending on the intelligence of the charger. Then of course you might have trouble getting NiCad batteries nowadays or find the charger is only good for them so you wont be able to upgrade to NiMH. I use this place for all things "battery":

http://vapextech.co.uk/

Last but not least all the individual bits are not cheap to buy, add in the soldering gun, large bore heat shrinking etc and hassle and you might find yourself veering towards just buying a new battery.

i did it with my 18v hilti ,when i opened it up 3 cells were iffy so replaced and ok ,got to say replacement cells weren,t up to original ie.solder tags very thin when compared with hilti ( panasonic ) cells but it worked

I bought batteries from cpc. stripped some 1mm and hammered it flat for the links.  soldered it all up. simples.

Nowadays I cannot be bothered. Just bought a 18V Li Ion dewalt on 't'net.  I only want the battery so I will put hte drill case and charger on ebay and get more for it than I paid .   Done this a couple of times as all my dewalt stuff is old style 'push' batts not the new slide type

Latest posts