New form of ebay scam

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a heads up to ebay users. A new form of scam, details coppied from another forum:

Interesting one this, apologies if its been done recently, but it's new to me and I've used ebay for years.

How it works: you search for an item and find something interesting, you then view the item page and it loads as per normal, but without you noticing it does a quick refresh...

Your now on a different site, the address bar will show you are no longer on the Ebay website. If however you don't notice this, and the item shown interests you enough that you decide to see/view/contact/ask any questions, you'll be re-directed as would appear normal to the ebay log in page.

Except its not the ebay one, its the cloned site one. If you still don't notice this and fall for the trick the rouge ebay site will now have your login details and will be able to compromise your own account.

I can easily see many people falling for this as at a glance you never even appear to have left ebay.

Be careful!!!

Here's an example. DO NOT click on any of the links from the page it redirects to: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Nimbu...item2575f2052c

Notice the url it redirects to is NOT ebay.

Be vigilant. before buying or bidding on ANYTHING on ebay, check that the url in your browsers address bar is indeed ebay.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Before it was pulled by ebay, it did redirect to another url without ANYTHING changing on the page.

Please pass this on to anyone you know that uses ebay and feel free to post it on any other forums you use.

I wouldn't have thought so alpha. I would have thought if it tried a redirect, it will make safari load up if you use iOS or the browser to load on android, not 100% sure though.