New Heater Required

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedepth

Reaction score
Morning all,

A customer has converted a room within a barn to a tv room, it is a largeish room of approximately 50m2 with a high and vaulted ceiling.

It contains one electric log effect fire which will be used when occupied but is suffering from damp on the furniture, almost definitely due to the cold atmosphere.

She has asked me to install a tube heater for protection against this but I am concerned that it will have little or no effect and be a waste of her money.

I know these are used in much smaller rooms but can anyone offer experience in a room of this size please.

My first thought was a panel heater with thermostat and timer but am not sure which will provide for her needs best and most economically.

Cheers.

a tube heater woulod be a complete waste of time... this is no point in a 50m sq room.

pannel heaters are good, but why not use spots with an ally back to project the heat forwards....

de-humidifer would be the other option?
De-hum would definitely be an option.

IIRC I heard a calculation for space heating

that was based upon BTU per unit cubic

foot of space volume.

The calculation was between 3 and 4 BTU

per cubic foot.

3 kW  =  10242 BTU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another contributing factor to the heating required is the number of external walls, I assume this 50m2 barn / TV room has a few external walls to contend with as well as the height and volume problem. I think they should have put in some underfloor heating during the conversion process, as any panel type heater is going to be rising warmth up the walls to heat the overhead space first. Where you say the damp is at furniture level, it needs heating to start all the warmth from floor level upward..

Doc H.

Latest posts