New Octopus Tariff for Solar and Batteries- Octopus Flux

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@johnb2713 I know what you mean, I built batteries and added more solar with the plan of using nothing from the grid for six to nine months of the year, but the Flux Tariff changes all of that. Importing for 21p and exporting at 40p makes good financial sense, especially in the summer months. Once my next battery is built I'll have circa 29kWh of storage, and I have 8kw of import/export ability. I'll set the battery to fully charge in the off peak period, and hold the charge until 4pm, then I'll force export. I'll run off solar or the grid at 35p in between, there will be some efficiency losses but I'll see how it goes.

@johnb2713 I know what you mean, I built batteries and added more solar with the plan of using nothing from the grid for six to nine months of the year, but the Flux Tariff changes all of that. Importing for 21p and exporting at 40p makes good financial sense, especially in the summer months. Once my next battery is built I'll have circa 29kWh of storage, and I have 8kw of import/export ability. I'll set the battery to fully charge in the off peak period, and hold the charge until 4pm, then I'll force export. I'll run off solar or the grid at 35p in between, there will be some efficiency losses but I'll see how it goes.
It sounds an awful lot of trouble to go to. I just take the charge at 10p kWh overnight but I'm working on integrating the weather forecast into my charging regime via Home Assistant to change the overnight charge. I want to play with a bit of AI for it to learn our usage patterns and adjust accordingly. Very much a work in progress, I'm still struggling with comms to the Multiplus II for some reason.

It sounds an awful lot of trouble to go to. I just take the charge at 10p kWh overnight but I'm working on integrating the weather forecast into my charging regime via Home Assistant to change the overnight charge. I want to play with a bit of AI for it to learn our usage patterns and adjust accordingly. Very much a work in progress, I'm still struggling with comms to the Multiplus II for some reason.
Im also now starting to look into automating charging overnight based on the weather forecast. Currently i use a smart plug and sheduling app that goes with it to shedule the charging as my inverter does not have sheduling. I will use home assistant to operate this smart plug depending on the next days predicted output for my panels.. I have home assistant all working and pulling data from my inverter etc, and i have a forecast each day (see example below). Have had to do some programming with yaml for the inverter stuff, but im new to yaml, and is not the easiest to work with (i havent done any programming for over 20 years!). Id be interested to know what data you use for the forecast if you do it... The forecast below is pretty accurate most of the time, but not always. I have read of some people uning met office data, i think mine comes from accuweather which is probably not as accurate..
Screenshot_20230403_110456_Home Assistant.jpg

That's looking good...... I've shut HA down at the minute, I've had a few strange occurrences with my Seplos BMS and I don't know if it's connected to HA somehow. It suddenly nosedives the % SOC and then the Victron Inverter shuts down i.e. Seplos is reporting 90% SOC, 52.24v at 07:00, at 07:01 7% SOC, 52.24v. The only way to get it working is either shut it down completely, or change a parameter within the BMS, it's really odd. I don't have a data connection to the BMS from HA but it could be getting something via the Victron connection maybe. So development halted whilst monitoring is in progress.