New Octopus Tariff for Solar and Batteries- Octopus Flux

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just seen this maybe I should go for Flux over Agile, it seems a more straightforward deal and (once I have got a hang of it) relatively simple to set up the inverter to permanently import 2-5am export 4-7pm. I don't have an "intelligent" household and no EV yet.

John would the Octopus Flux not work for you then?

Or do you do many miles in your EV’s to be counter productive to the Export which looks enticing .

At the moment with 10kw of battery storage to use covers a lot of home usage only imported 15 kw last month rest off peak
So a big saving on at present Octopus Go.

Hardly any Export 75 kw to be on Octopus Flux mind you it’s only February…

The Peak Export is high but to cover household import with battery Export aswell
More of a plan is needed when you have bad days of solar.

Plus if you leave smart tariff you are put on Flexible tariff for at least 30 days till you can go back on a Smart tariff

Octopus Intelligent does look good at present who knows what the tariff will be at the end of March with Government assistance will it end or be prolonged for another six months

John would the Octopus Flux not work for you then?

Or do you do many miles in your EV’s to be counter productive to the Export which looks enticing .
I aim not to export where at all possible, I use all I generate. Flux seems very expensive at 20p off peak compared to 12p on the new GO or 10p on intelligent. I dont really see that Flux is very good if I'm honest.

At the moment with 10kw of battery storage to use covers a lot of home usage only imported 15 kw last month rest off peak
930 kWh off peak and 11 Peak for me in January

So a big saving on at present Octopus Go.
I dont see that my current GO is 7.5p and the new GO currently 12p how is it a saving?

Hardly any Export 75 kw to be on Octopus Flux mind you it’s only February…
I always feel it's bettter if you can use it all.

The Peak Export is high but to cover household import with battery Export aswell
More of a plan is needed when you have bad days of solar.

Plus if you leave smart tariff you are put on Flexible tariff for at least 30 days till you can go back on a Smart tariff

Octopus Intelligent does look good at present who knows what the tariff will be at the end of March with Government assistance will it end or be prolonged for another six months
Pretty much the same with tariff, we have no idea where it's all going to be.

I aim not to export where at all possible, I use all I generate. Flux seems very expensive at 20p off peak compared to 12p on the new GO or 10p on intelligent. I dont really see that Flux is very good if I'm honest.

930 kWh off peak and 11 Peak for me in January

I dont see that my current GO is 7.5p and the new GO currently 12p how is it a saving?

I always feel it's bettter if you can use it all.

Pretty much the same with tariff, we have no idea where it's all going to be.
Agree totally with you to use every kw produced by your Generation and Storage Plant. 👌

Yes Octopus Intelligent does look the Best at the moment if your Tariff is about to expire.

Just read more info on T&C’s for Octopus Flux on variable tariff subject to whole sale prices not fixed for 12 months.

Going to give this a miss.

I registered my interest in Flux it seems a reasonable deal for my situation, but it seems this is just a posit from Octopus to test if there would be any interest. So instead I have signed on to Agile pro-tem ... and yes, I noticed the t's and c's said you would be dumped on to standard tariff for 30 days before being allowed to switch to another smart option. Hey ho.

What EDF tariff is that, and what criteria do you have to meet to get onto it?
Its just their standard economy 7 tariff, paying by direct debit. About 54p peak rate though, but i dont use any peak rate power myself due to having plenty of diy battery storage. Dont think its for exporting, but you can use another company to export to if you need to do that..

Its just their standard economy 7 tariff, paying by direct debit. About 54p peak rate though, but i dont use any peak rate power myself due to having plenty of diy battery storage. Dont think its for exporting, but you can use another company to export to if you need to do that..
Excellent, thanks for that.

DIY battery storage, you got any posts up to what you've done, I'd love to have a look.

Excellent, thanks for that.

DIY battery storage, you got any posts up to what you've done, I'd love to have a look.
Hi, no probs, its pretty much all done now, just finishing off a few minor bits n pieces, but here is my build thread from a couple months back on another forum (not finished at the time of making the thread below, and bearing in mind that its not for everyone!, but its ok for me as i live in a bungalow on my own lol, if i had to put the panels on my roof, id had needed some help!)
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/first-build-3kw-panels-3kw-inv-14-4kw-storage.52783/#post-672371

That's a good read, thanks for sharing that.

As I'm not a member of the other forum you linked to, I couldn't click any of your pics, but the thumbnails were quite clear.

How big is your battery bank?

How have you joined them together?

Have you increased the batteries since then?

(Edited for clarification)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good read, thanks for sharing that.

As I'm not a member of the other forum you linked to, I couldn't click any of your pics, but the thumbnails were quite clear.

How big is your battery bank?

How have you joined them together?

Have you increased the batteries since then?

(Edited for clarification)
(moderators - feel free to paste my post somewhere else if this is seen as hijacking the thread!)

Ahh ok, didnt realise you couldnt see the photos properly..
The banks total 14.4kw, i use about 8kw a day in winter and about 5 in the summer, so plenty for me, but obviously its all relative, and would need more for a family of 4 for example.. - cost £2500 including the bms's and shunts.
20230222_171417.jpg
20230222_171421.jpg
20230222_171430.jpg
The batteries and all hardware are pretty much done now and linked together in parallel via busbars.
20230222_171440.jpg
20230222_171451.jpg
20230222_171508.jpg
20230222_171520.jpg

I have been learning how to pull the data from the inverter as it doesnt have wifi. Using a hacked wifi box, a raspberry pi and home assistant software, so now i can see it all in the house and record stats etc.
20230222_171627.jpg

20230222_171757.jpg

Is a fantastic project if you like diy and tech stuff like me 😁

That's way better, thanks for doing that

I can see why you're really proud of yourself, that all looks really cool, I'd love to be able to do things like that.

I love all the data you can pull from the inverter, I love data. Nerd. Lol

That's way better, thanks for doing that

I can see why you're really proud of yourself, that all looks really cool, I'd love to be able to do things like that.

I love all the data you can pull from the inverter, I love data. Nerd. Lol
Thank you, means alot 👍 i guess i am proud yes, but im really not clever at all, and this time last year i knew absolutely nothing about solar, but i decided just go all in and learn, taking it one step at a time, and if your a nerd too 🤓,, i have no doubts that you could do something similar also, and probably far better if you wished to. (sorry if i sound patronising in any way, really dont mean to)