New Storage Heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen Pulcella

Reaction score
Hello, sorry if i am repeating a former post but i couldn't find anything. I am looking to replace my old storage heater in my living room with a quantum dimplex one. my living room is an extension and has 3 outside walls and a flat roof. I'm going to try insulating wallpaper to try an make it warmer, as with my existing storage heater i also have to put an extra heater on when i get in from work. If i attach this new storage heater to the wall (they are all outside walls) can i add some insulation behind it? like a piece of insulated plaster board or something reflective like you would put behind a radiator? i know the heater goes flat to the wall but there must be something i can do to to stop heat going straight out of the wall? Or is this a bad idea? 

Many Thanks in advance

I'd imagine that you could put insulating plasterboard behind it (plasterboard side to heater).

I fitted a few Quantum heaters for a friend and they're quite an intelligent heater,,, regulating the room temperature and automatically topping up with boost heater as necessary

The real thing is whole house insulation.

Storage heaters only store a relatively low amount of heat energy, and are not that good at keeping it all in for use in the afternoon or evening.

I used to have a 1930's solid wall semi and found storage heaters just about useless for heating that. The walls were so poorly insulated you just could not keep it warm in winter and storage heaters just provides background heat to be topped up with other sources.

Apart from having better controls and the ability to boost the heat automatically, I can't see a modern storage heater performing any better than an old one in terms of storing heat.

So yes insulate the walls behind the heater where the hot spot is but really you want to bite the bullet and insulate all the outside walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, i just wanted to check it wasnt a pointless exercise. i have new windows, there is a cavity in the walls and insulation in there plus ceiling but still so cold. And no gas suppy.

Beware!!

Are those the units which need off peak AND 24 x 7 electrical supplies?

Do you have both connections available?

Last edited by a moderator: