Nice use of 3 core flex...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAAMUSEMENTS

Reaction score
Found this shortly after moving in a few years ago, supplying the shower room extractor.

One core has been stripped halfway out to go across to a taped up con block as a permanent live...

The other two cores, one of which is of course the earth, have been used as switched live and neutral.

The culprit has never been identified...

:_|

2007_1006ebay0009.jpg

2007_1006ebay0010.jpg

Found this shortly after moving in a few years ago, supplying the shower room extractor.One core has been stripped halfway out to go across to a taped up con block as a permanent live...

The other two cores, one of which is of course the earth, have been used as switched live and neutral.

The culprit has never been identified...

:_|
what have you been told about maiking fun of apaches electrical works :^O

no seriously that really is rough work in deed :eek:

what have you been told about maiking fun of apaches electrical works :^O no seriously that really is rough work in deed :eek:
It's pretty much the standard of the wiring in the whole place. Thank Gods I now have RCDs!

I will take some pics of the downlighter connections before I strip the lot out, they aren't much better. Hopefully when I reinstate with new cabling it will sort out the broken lighting ring... only have continuity on the earth, and the live and neutral are basically two radials at the mo.

And the whole house only has one lighting ring, and one mains ring - it's a well extended 3 bedroom.

Also found that 6mm t&e radial on 32amp breaker goes into the airing cupboard where it feeds a couple of 2.5mm t&e spurs... probably originally an old shower feed that some eejit thought they might as well make use of, but failed to downgrade. The list goes on.

Lighting Ring?

Not common practice to have Lighting Rings, usally radial circuits as it sounds these may be.

Lighting Ring?Not common practice to have Lighting Rings, usally radial circuits as it sounds these may be.
I think it was originally intended as a ring, as there is earth continuity... happy to stand corrected though.

I must be hopelessly out of date as regards lighting rings, presumably there is no great disadvantage in having a ring instead of radials (apart from extra wiring and materials used of course)?

I must be hopelessly out of date as regards lighting rings
Never been in date as a standard circuit. Its not needed as the current draw, circuit protection & cable size is usually fine as a radial. On longer runs it is normal to increase cable size.

The only time i ever saw a lighting ring was a couple of years ago by a Polish builder & and like the rest of his workmanship, it was below par.

The fact you have continuity between the two CPCs is unlikely to be because of it being wired as a ring but just an interconnection between the two radial circuits at some point maybe at a 2 gang switch (upstairs and downstairs in hallway?)or possible supplementary bonding that links the two.

The fact you have continuity between the two CPCs is unlikely to be because of it being wired as a ring but just an interconnection between the two radial circuits at some point maybe at a 2 gang switch (upstairs and downstairs in hallway?)or possible supplementary bonding that links the two.
Yep that would explain it, the two way lighting in the hallway and landing.

I can at least tell which operates what now, as they are now on two separate breakers.

In another thread you showed a pic of your C/Unit, the smallest breaker was 15A ?
That CU is very much in the bin. The lighting circuits (lets assume for the moment they are radials) are each on a 6 amp MCB now.

Latest posts