Niceic assesment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gforce

Reaction score
When I get round to doing my assesment for part p, if i use say a rewire of my own house as the subject, do I need bc involved before hand or is it ok to do it and just use it as an assesment and then if they pass me sign it off then.

I think you may be better to pay the building control fee so as not to upset NICEIC Assessor.

Others may disagree but this is the best route for you to get registered. ;)

Do what we used to do before part p came into force.

Take your certificates to the lbc, they then have you recorded in their system and will not question your abilities. Some lbc's will waver the fee if you can prove you are awaiting your assesment.

Do what we used to do before part p came into force.Take your certificates to the lbc, they then have you recorded in their system and will not question your abilities. Some lbc's will waver the fee if you can prove you are awaiting your assesment.
Ok mate-but would I be legal to fill out the certificate before being assesed.

Might sound strange but its all bloody confusing.

You have to fill out and complete an installation certificate it is part of your assesment.

The assessor will look at what you have put in the certificate to see if you understand the proccess, do not worry if you make a mistake this will be taken into account and he will advise you on filling them in correctly.You can take the copy of the certificate to the lbc who can place it on record.

Oh i see-after my assesment. Cool. But what if I were to fail my assesment and would then be without a certificate.

Sorry if im being dim.

Failing your assesment does not mean that the certificate is void.

Unless it is totally way off.

The certificate MUST be completed BEFORE the assesment.

When he visits your office he will want to see all completed certificates, and a list of work carried out over the last year or however long you have been trading.

He will keep hold of the certificate and during the site visit will ask you to test various circuits, the readings you get will be compared to the readings you have put in the certificate. Remember you have to complete the certificate before the assesment.

If you fail you will still carry on and make good the reasons why you failed, you will have to pay for another assesment but you are not "struck off" as such.

See the NICEIC website it has some usefull information on how to avoid a re-visit.

I notice from nic website a new application must consist of at least 2 jobs one in the last 12 monhs-if it is just my own work at home will a cu upgrade to 17th and say an external lighting circuit to garden or even a circuit to garage seperately be ok as two do you think.

they normally require 2x large jobs - i.e a rewire and DB change or similar. or 2x DB change.

for my (elecsa) assessment, i only had to get 1 job for him to look at - both have been full-re-wires

In my experiance they always go to two jobs, the work for the niceic can be 1 large job where a full installation certificate has been issued and 1 small job where a minor works certificate has been issued.You have to have at least 2 jobs to go and view.

Sod the LBC ! Its your house, rewire it, dot the i,s and cross the t,s then test the hell out of it and do yourself an EIC . Part P providers want to enroll you not crucify you ( well not sure about the NIC TBH) You only need one job for ELECSA, I think NAPIT is the same .

Deke

To be honest annual site visits may become a thing of the past if the NICEIC can get backing from the government to cut red tape.

You will have had to have successfull on site visits in the past to qualify, and not sure how it will work, or even if it will ever happen.

im sitting with the nic guide to registration docs in front of me,got them today. upon initial application you will be asked to give 2 postcodes of two jobs that you have worked on, one minor,and one major, you can not use the same address for the two jobs, im doing a cu change in my own house and replacing like for like in my neighbors, i dont have any previous jobs i could show him, and i was advised out the phone by the sales advisor to do the above...

Those two jobs will be ok for your assesment, they are both classed as major and both require an eic. You should have no problems, one word of advise do not make up any figures for your test results, spend some time and use the test book they should have sent you as a guide.Most of all I still get nervous, but try to be honest, if you do not know an answer tell him, do not try to bluff, you can always look in the book.

Thats bloody ridiculous-someone starting out might not be able to ge the work to do at 2 seperate postcodes. Its ok if you have a neighbour who is willing to le you. Tradeskills4u lead us o believe after doing part p can start small business-but wihout the assesmen already behind you and a reasonable start up time could find it hard to find work.

I really want:O to use niceic too as all sparks in my area seem to be with them.

The other thing I just thought of is when youve done a job at a customers house you are hardly likely to be able to gain easy access to it afterwards lol-like they give a stuff if your being assesed-its not heir business is it. How can you guarantee access on the day of your assesment?