NICEIC Inspections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffematics

Reaction score
Morning All

I have just recived my letter regarding my 1st yearly niceic inspection and wondered if anyone could give me any insight to what to expect. I am with the domestic installer side of NICEIC and wondered how there pick the jobs to inspect, As i have lots of certs and i cant expect everyone to be in just in case. Do you need to do anymore testing like on the initial inspection and what do there want to see in the office side of the inspection.

Many Thanks for contintued help

Matt

it will be similar to your first, but most likely easier (less questions/testing req'd) if its obvious you have done a good job from the work you show him.

they will want to see same paperwork as last year (PLI cert, compaints register etc) along with some certs

Morning AllI have just recived my letter regarding my 1st yearly niceic inspection and wondered if anyone could give me any insight to what to expect. I am with the domestic installer side of NICEIC and wondered how there pick the jobs to inspect, As i have lots of certs and i cant expect everyone to be in just in case. Do you need to do anymore testing like on the initial inspection and what do there want to see in the office side of the inspection.

Many Thanks for contintued help

Matt
Hi Matt

DONT PANIC!!! few key points to put your mind at rest...

With Domestic customers it is impossible to randomly arrive at a customers home to do an assessment visit.

It is generally impossible to arrange keys or for someone to be in at every job you have completed over the past 12 months.

I have had situations in the past where customer has had a family member at home off work sick! you cannot start insisting to do electrical tests on their circuits in this situation.

From my experience the NICEIC fully understand these sort of problem and it would be totally unreasonable expecting you to achieve the impossible.

So

OFFICE ADMIN:-

They do expect you to have ALL of your proper paperwork available for inspection:-

Copies of certs.

Insurance

Regs

Part P doc

EAWR memorandum of guidance

Complaints procedure

H&S risks procedures

Meter(s)

Calibration certs and/or ongoing in-service testing records

(e.g. reference check box results)

ACCESS TO SITES:-

You will have to arrange guaranteed access to at least two sites.

(best arrange a reserve or two in case of access problems on the day)

The site visits have to be within short traveling distance of each other and your office/home where paperwork is inspected.

(e.g. think they say 15-20mins max)

IF all you work is far from your home/office you need to arrange to visit direct to site, in writing before the visit date.

And also need to take all paperwork with you!

Good idea to organise your sites few weeks ahead, prime the customer for the requested access, then ring them back day or two before inspection to make sure they haven't forgotten and if necessary to arrange key collection.

PRACTICAL TESTS INSPECTIONS:-

they will still want to see your

safe isolation

bonding

some random selected tests that they choose on circuits you have worked on.

comparing results with those on your certs.

Try to pick jobs with full rewire or CU changes... gives more scope for them to pick a "random circuit" to test

Minor additions or alterations can be a bit limiting.

A radial circuit is a good one they like for R1+R2 or Zs test..

e.g. cooker circuit! ;)

:coffee

Got my niceic assessment notification today April 27th.....just got to prime some customers now.

Mines on the 15th April...

Luckily I've only recently rewired a house nextdoor but 1 (got a key as it's a weekend/holiday home - not rented out!) and I think I'll be fitting an extractor fan in mine in the next week or so!

Mines on the 15th April...Luckily I've only recently rewired a house nextdoor but 1 (got a key as it's a weekend/holiday home - not rented out!) and I think I'll be fitting an extractor fan in mine in the next week or so!
Mrs 107 loves it when it's assessment time over the years I've done all manner of wiring round the place just for the assessment, such as...extractor fan in bathroom / radial for washer dryer / rewired garage / patio sockets.

This year it's my cousins garage that needs wiring & I have a cu change in an empty flat (4 circuits) + main bonding comming up for a mate. The fall back jobs will be my downstairs ringnain that I re-wired......that reminds me I must test & cert it before 27th April O) & I'm planning on some garden lighting at the end of my 100ft garden + greenhouse sso's.

Doesnt matter how many assessments I do I always start to fret weeks in advance:pray