Non-maintained emergency lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is Andy, as far as I am concerned, but I wonder what an "electrician" of limited training would make of it, as per Manators post really.

Trouble is its all time consuming. I used five core swa for a heating job the markings on the cables were poor some hard to read. I know you could bell them out but when its right across a garden takes to much time. I prefer when they are coloured.

I regularly use 7 core on CH systems - 1 g/y and 6 black - numbered.

But recently, they`ve altered the printing on the cable, in 2 ways.

1. It is much smaller, making it difficult to read, especially under less-than-perfect lighting.

2. The numbering "rubs off" when the cores are handled - if you twist the core around to find the number, you can remove it.

On the plus side, as far as that awkward heating job last week goes; if the owner thinks he can get "his" firm in to copy my wiring schematic, they`ll have a hell of a jobto decode the cores - 5 sleeved brown, and 4 different lengths doing different things!

And, until he pays, I`m not sending the drawn schematic down there.....................stuff `em. They`ve had the cert.( which I`m not allowed to withhold).

KME

I am not going to quote the full post from Kme, but what he says really does drive up my garden path. I have had to issue certs, its in the regs, and not been paid. Boils my skin, blood, and everything that is cool.

Were they rectangular, and have a clip that engaged with two screw in posts to hold them in?

I regularly use 7 core on CH systems - 1 g/y and 6 black - numbered.But recently, they`ve altered the printing on the cable, in 2 ways.

1. It is much smaller, making it difficult to read, especially under less-than-perfect lighting.

2. The numbering "rubs off" when the cores are handled - if you twist the core around to find the number, you can remove it.

On the plus side, as far as that awkward heating job last week goes; if the owner thinks he can get "his" firm in to copy my wiring schematic, they`ll have a hell of a jobto decode the cores - 5 sleeved brown, and 4 different lengths doing different things!

And, until he pays, I`m not sending the drawn schematic down there.....................stuff `em. They`ve had the cert.( which I`m not allowed to withhold).

KME
I usually carry a bottle of isopropyl alcohol for the purpose of removing markings for the very reason you stated further down.

make the buggers work for the ability to simply copy,

do you also make duff connections using extra cores and cross them over on unused terminals........

can make for interesting stuff if you put your own markings on the cable and do it different at each end. ]:)

bad day explode

when I did it at the air source heat pump I did in London recently and the guy that runs the firm(that designs and makes the pumps) was there he looked a bit puzzled at my marking system,

when I explained it to him and gave him a copy of my sort of standard system he seemed quite impressed by my reasoning.

ie, it stops Joe anybody messing with stuff they shouldnt be, and if a warranty is called on then its usually pretty easy to see if someone else has been messing with it.

your welcome to use it KME, it comes easier to some people than others, if you are a pedant for stuff all in a line it will cause you grief being haphazard, just get yourself a standard system.

My first job out of school was QA / repair of a consumer electronic goods company:

i.e. if it was new, hit it all over with a rubber ball on a stick. If it complained, it was faulty and needed repair.

Also had to do repair on stuff that came back under warranty.

A video came back with a faulty timer - traced it to the IC..........

( DIL package; approx 25mm long by 10mm wide, with 96 pins down the sides - electrostatic and heat sensitive. )

They gave me the job of removing the chip, and replacing........( and no, it didn`t have a ZIF socket, it was soldered)

I only did that once.......................

I do hope you guys aren't taring all DI's with the same brush;)In my past life I used to work with 56 pin (prewired) plugs (regularily),,, 56 tiny white wires and not identified in any way:(
I have utmost respect for all electricians, especially those who are humble, for those are the ones that make great electricians, be it a 5dw or a fully apprenticed dedicated electrician.

I never ever would doubt the dedicated, whichever path was taken.

in post 9 the OP says its new wiring so if hes coming straight from the breaker does he really need a key switch?

I would not term a circuit breaker a means for testing although you can but an unskiled person would really not know how to do it. A proper emergency test switch should be installed I think.

I would not term a circuit breaker a means for testing although you can but an unskiled person would really not know how to do it. A proper emergency test switch should be installed I think.
+1.

this thread is also old. the newbie resurected it