NVQ Course online.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started my jtl apprenticeship in '99 and qualified in 04, doing c&g levels 2 & 3 along with the regs and completing my apprenticeship with the am2. This got me a jib card graded as electrician, also got the ecs on my jib card.

Now to say the nvq is for non academic people is a tad unfair.

To complete a full time served apprenticeship to all relevant standards and to be graded as an electrician by the jib (wether you like them or not) is the proper way to train and gain experience. We cannot choose what is taught to us, we can only learn what is in front of us. I achieved quite well in school so to say the nvq is a nothing achievement and should be binned is a tad harsh!

Yes competence comes with experience but to do the c&g, nvq, am2 etc is the real way to learn and the only proper way to learn along with on site experience.

Yes obviously but then there's another bit of turd by the jib.

All you had to do to be graded as an approved spark was have 2 years experience and for your boss to say yes grade him and then hello, pay rise!

So now many older sparks, although have more experience get more money than others just because the jib decided you now need 2391 to be graded as approved!

I'm not saying you don't exist but you can't say the nvq should be binned just because it wasn't around in your day! The 5ww are destroying this trade in my eyes! Many people are paying alot of money to self train the proper way if they are too old for an apprenticeship but they are still getting the same quals as an apprentice trained spark! It's basically the same thing but unfortunately there is no funding if you wanna get off your butt an better yourself and are already employed!!!

they may be getting the same quals, but are they getting the same experience as an apprentice?

Im not totally knocking the older students, but how are they actually gaining the experience required in law to be competent?

Obviously I would think most would be working along side sparks and gaining experience. I agree if you just go to collage and do the c&g then the theoretical side will be achieved but I think this is why the nvq is there now to show practical experience. As we know competence comes along way down the line!

The nvq does have its flaws though. Many lads I went to college with just took pics of other peoples work and did the write up to suit and got there mate who's a spark to sign it off! I never saw the point in this as at the end of the day they were only cheating themselves! Come the am2 and many of the pots blew of the pyro as they didn't realise the importance of the IR test before energising :eek:

Along with many other things lol

I did mine last year with a company called delta training, it was easy to be honest, you just have to take plenty of photos and everything was done on an online portfolio, mine took about 6 months but you could do it much quicker if you wanted.

so what about the folks that did an apprenticeship before NVQ?do we not exist?
I was lead to believe (by posts on other forums) writing to them and giving evidence of employment and original (i suppose this would have to be for quite some time) then you would get graded.

Having never had to do this myself I cannot verify this.

The system may not be perfect (but what is?) but it seems the JIB are the only people sticking up for people who gave up years on crap pay to achieve their qualifications.

While I was doing my C&G I was speaking to my trainer, who was also the C&G assessor and the NVQ assessor.

He told me he gets to assess lots of NVQ's from the Polish, nice pictures of them standing around work "they have done", and the Polish foreman certifies they have.

He told me he knows perfectly well they didn't do it, but he has to take the evidence presented to him, so then they get let loose as qualified electricians.

If the exam relies on photos and a signature form a fellow countryman, probably a relation, the system is badly flawed.

Set up some restrictive practices, tell everyone that it for safety reasons, then bleed the trade dry, with constant new courses.

Set up a Competent Person Scam for safety reasons, then set up a committee with other Scams, agree a standard so low you can reach it in a few weeks, to keep the Membership revenues up.

But wont people say the standards are too low for an Electrician, mmmm yes, well lets call them Installers, we are only saying they are able to Self Certify under the Building Regulations.

We are not saying they are Competent under BS7671 or EAWR, so whats the problem?

While I was doing my C&G I was speaking to my trainer, who was also the C&G assessor and the NVQ assessor.He told me he gets to assess lots of NVQ's from the Polish, nice pictures of them standing around work "they have done", and the Polish foreman certifies they have.

He told me he knows perfectly well they didn't do it, but he has to take the evidence presented to him, so then they get let loose as qualified electricians.

If the exam relies on photos and a signature form a fellow countryman, probably a relation, the system is badly flawed.
OMG!!!!

ie: with the NVQ the person knows how to practically instal a ring main, but has no idea as to why they are using 2.5 cable and a 32A MCB.with the C&G 2330 they know exactly why they can use 2.5 on a 32a mcb, but have no idea how to chase out the wall.

So although two 2 qualifications where meant to be alternatives, the powers that be seem to think practice overrides theory.

Myself I think this is a dangerous approach, practice should be built on theory, not offered as an alternative.
Spot on there Mate, except the chasing bit in my case. I'd done a couple of years with a Spark prior to completing my Level 3. I'm just going to enroll on my NVQ after having finished my 2330 a couple of years ago. Lack of work convinced me to hold out, but lack of work now is convincing me to get it done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lead to believe (by posts on other forums) writing to them and giving evidence of employment and original (i suppose this would have to be for quite some time) then you would get graded. Having never had to do this myself I cannot verify this.

The system may not be perfect (but what is?) but it seems the JIB are the only people sticking up for people who gave up years on crap pay to achieve their qualifications.
Ive actually said this myself on here,

10 years is all they want,

oh, have a good look around, the JIB are as culpable as the others for dragging us down this route.

they may have now realised this and are now back-pedalling, still, they were there at the start of the demeaning of us all.

I researched the NVQ before taking it, and I can tell you this - The NVQ is comprised of underpinning knowledge (2330 level 3 or an underpinning knowledge test through i.e. Quickstep) and a site diary of assessed work coupled with site visits from the assessor.

With some companies, like 'Quickstep', the AM2 is not required. I did mine through a local college, and the requirements for the NVQ were in 3 parts. 1 - underpinning knowledge (2330 levels 2 and 3) 2- Site diary (8 sections to be completed and verified over at lest two jobs involving different cable types, containment, testing etc...) 3 - AM2.

I would not have had a more thorough assessment*if I had had a formal apprenticeship.

I was an adult trainee and it said as much on my JIB card until I gained my NVQ level 3. I then applied for, and gained my Installation Electrician Gold JIB card.

I will add one thing here. I have spent the last 8 weeks on a big hospital new build on

i just signed up with xs training for the nvq,the person i am supposed to have a telephone induction wont happen till next week so i am a little left in the dark atm

my goal is to get this out the way as soon as possible, done my 3 years of night college which almost killed me

need some advice in completing it asap with as minimal work

1)i have to fill in 3 diaries, which entail performance objectives

with the performance objectives can i reuse them for the other 2 site diaries?

2)is this right, the key criticals can be spread over the 3 site diaries?

3)not every job covers the entire units, what happens here?