Off-Peak Hot Water Not Heating! :(

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazchip

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a problem, not sure what to do about it / who to call!

I've just bought a new flat, and with absolutely NO information left by the previous tenants / landlord, have managed to figure out with a bit of googling how to work the hot water system. So it appears to be on one of these Economy 7 systems so it should automatically heat the water during the night off peak, and the control panel also gives the options to boost in the daytime (either manual or timed).

When I use the boost functions during peak hours (I tried both manual and timed), the water heats up fine. But, overnight, I see that the off-peak light is lit up as though it's heating, however it doesn't heat as the water is still cold in the morning.

Heating with "boost" during the day is obviously much more expensive.  I tried doing a "timed boost" during overnight hours but the "off-peak" cycle overrides the boost and I still end up with no hot water.

Not really sure what the issue can be as the water CAN be heated in some way, but somehow not the offpeak part.  Don't know anything about the system or water heaters in general so I have no idea of the inner workings of these things.  Can anyone help??

THANKS.
Shaz

Either the immersion element has blown or the stat has tripped out. The night economy 7 is the bottom one. Turn it off, take the lid of where the cable goes in and see if there is a small hole or button that says reset, see if it clicks when pressed in. If none of these its reallt a plumbers job to change the element but some electricians do them also

The day time boost & the night economy 7 are different elements that work independantly of each other. Thats why the boost still gives some hot water, not a whole cylinder full though.

Thankyou! I don't feel comfortable taking any bits off myself so will call a plumber! I did wonder if it was a plumber / electrician I'd need. Thanks for your help!

IMHO youd be better off calling an electrician as I've yet to meet a plumber that has the equipment to properly test an immersion element.

It could be several things...

The element could be open circuit

The safety stat could have operated

Or the controller (Horstman by the sounds of it) has developed a fault

Something to try (just to get you by)...

If the controller won't allow you to boost during the E7 period then advance the time clock so that it thinks its on the daytime rate and then operate the boost. This will give you some (probably not a full tank though) hot water at your cheaper rate,,, so long as you do this during your E7 period.