Ok to install DP isolator external to RCBO enclosure in same cupboard?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingspark

Reaction score
I have been asked to replace an old fuse board in a domestic property, there is very little room in the electrical cupboard to fit a new board so that it is far enough (min 150mm) away from the gas meter/gas pipe work.

I am thinking I will have to install the smallest (max width available 140mm) board I can find, populated only by RCBO

I've done this exact thing in the past,,,, except I put a 25mm din rail terminal in so I could connect my neutral tail to the tri rated neutral cable,,, the neutral bar would not take a 25mm cable directly!

Thanks Noz for your helpful tip.

Thinking more about this, am not going to find a new replacement consumer unit which measures less then 140mm for 6 x rcbo's and din mounted terminal/s. Going to get back to builder and suggest installing new board above existing cupboard, then no worries about proximity to gas meter/pipes, and with width restriction of new board.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks EE, but no the space between the meter and gas pipe is about 260mm, and the space available for a new board to conform is approx 140mm. The cupboard cant be widened as its in an alcove between wall and chimney Havent had time to let the builder know yet, but am sure the cupboard height will have to be raised. Thanks again. FS.