Old Boiler, New Timer With Ch Only?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23491

Reaction score
Hi all!

We have moved into a place with a gas boiler from (I think) the late 1970s. It has an old dial timer with only 2 function positions - hot water only or hot water and heating. We don't use much hot water from the tank but it's a cold house so we have the heating on a lot. I am concerned about the amount of energy we're wasting on the hot water.

Would it be possible to change the timer to a modern one that will let us have 3 functions, so we could have heating only as well? I don't have a manual for the boiler, but the panel inside tells us the model "E Type RS series 2", number "RS 40/60", and the GC number 41-397-41. I can't find the GC number online anywhere.

Thanks for any help!!

Michael.

If your hot water tank is well lagged, then all it will actually cost you, is whatever heat escapes from the tank.

So have a look at your tank.

If it;s a bare copper tank with a jacket on it, then even with a good jacket, it will leak a lot of heat. So best to consider a major upgrade to the system.

If it's a reasonably modern foam lagged tank, then that's much more eficcient, but still an extra jacket over it will reduce heat losses.