OLD ELCB before the CU on a TT System...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
... They can be disposed of now - Yes? :D

elcb1.jpg

tt1.jpg

Currently has a 6 way Contactum Board with RCD Main Switch.

He is looking at having a 6 way Hager, 100 A Main Switch and six individual RCBOs in there. Doesn't want any spare ways. Doesn't want to move any circuits (currently has has one ring final for the whole house - Inc Kitchen - and has the heating spurred off of the RF).

Advised him to get a PIR done FIRST - as I did a quick check Yesterday for him and he has a O/C on the RF CPC.

JBs buried under the floor, upstairs. (Found two seperated SO with cpcs out and another with a Line out and the same S/O has two loose lines).

:eek:

If you swapped the board for the MS & RCBO one then yes, the ELCB can go, not that it needs to be there as it is anyway.

... They can be disposed of now - Yes?
The voltage-operated ELCB will be superfluous if RCD protection is to be provided instead, so yes, can be removed.

I knew it was the case Gents, but I just wanted to double check first. :)

Haven't seen one of those for a while, it's the old voltage operated "earth trip" (for younger readers they tripped when the voltage in the main earth reached 50v) and should have been removed some time ago, before that consumer unit was fitted...

Chiltern did make RCDs which look very similar, the give away is that the voltage type have earth connections as well as line & neutral.

You'll probably have to run a new cable to the earth electrode though, since the electrode conductor on a voltage-operated ELCB was permitted to be a minimum of 7/.029 (or 2.5 sq. mm after metrication).

He currently has this 6 way Contactum board in place...

contactum-6-way-consumer-unit-1.jpg

Chiltern did make RCDs which look very similar
Still quite a few of those (voltage-operated) Chilton units around here, along with the very common Crabtree E50.

Crabtree also did a current-operated version which was basically the E50 with a current transformer mounted alongside in an overall cover.

Latest posts