one for Phild

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers for mentioning that Andy, I know the guy who started it all off, Dave Wardell, from another forum. The obnoxious little sod who stabbed Finn, did it after running away from police who wanted him for an incident earlier on when he'd threatened a taxi driver with a knife during an attempted robbery. His excuse for stabbing Finn was that he was frightened by the big nasty police dog, aah, Well after taking out the dog he then stabbed Dave too, This happens far too often, there have been about 3 or 4 this year, the dog, or police horse is a living being, it feels pain like we do, it also costs a hell of a lot of money to train one of these animals, for injuring one to be treated as criminal damage was a travesty, all we need now is decent sentences.

Who remembers the Guardsman's horse in that London car bomb  ,  Sefton , he survived but seven other horses were killed or had to be put down .  
Oh yes indeed, remember it well, people don't realise that when you work with these animals on a day to day basis you build up a bond with them, even more so for dog handlers because you take them home and they live as pets.

I remember back in my dog handling days, I had 2 brilliant dogs at work, one of them was due for retirement when I left so I kept her as a pet, her name was Hobi, she was brilliant, good in work and as a pet, one night the wife went out for a walk and took Hobi with her, on the way back she was almost attacked by a couple of druggies who leapt out of an alleyway behind her. Fortunately Hobi dealt with the situation, the wife was a little shook up but it could have been a lot worse, I'll go into situations with a dog and not worry about it, whereas if I had to do the same with another person I'd probably feel different, dogs don't run away.

A friend of mine was a DH for a local force, as was his wife, in the early hours of a New Years Day she was called to attend a break in at a pub, on arrival she was confronted with 2 armed men, one of whom shot her in the leg, unable to walk she watched as he came towards her to finish her off. Fortunately her dog dragged her down an embankment and the gunman decided not to follow.The actions of the dog that day obviously saved her life, she still has shotgun pellets in her thigh and always will have, but if it hadn't been for the dog she wouldn't be alive today.

I'm delighted that finally after years of campaigning we've finally got a law in place that protects our four legged protectors.