Only have continuity on line conductors if neutrels are connected

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well is it actually a ring main to start with, only you say you don't have continuity on any of it until you start physically joining them together.

It could have been a ring at one point but now due to a break, fault or poor work it's now radials.

Why don't you liven up one leg and see what's on that was off before, then try the other leg and see what you get.

Maybe then you can see what is happening and it may become obvious.

I can see what Steve is stating but I would think

it unwise to "liven up" until all dead tests have

been completed and the socket final is shown to be

safe to use.

Yeh it on ohms and I had it on the bell setting low ohms 20 ohms. I have got a plug top tester with the 3 lights . The thing is I've put so much right on this job the bloke who done the install didn't have a clue I've found connector block plastered in the wall 1.5mm cable joining the ring in places no ip rated boxes it's endless so even though I can do the plug top test the fault could be anywhere. If there was an appliance connected like a light on a spur or transformer would it read though L-N and that's why is comming up with continuity?? Thanks for your help I'm really greatfull
If the resistance is that low it does rather sound like an electrical piece of kit if MCB isn't tripping. Think I would liven up one leg of circuit so 'socket and see works', but double check other circuits at Db for 240 V on live or neutrals

I've checked polarity at each socket mate and at every fcu and jb! Also I know how many squared meters it can cover. What's with the nasty comments did you get bullied at school? All I carnt understand is if the continuity is going between live and neutral why don't the mcb trip.
IF you "have checked polarity at each socket..." (BTW HOW did you check that?) then you should have found your fault.

It's not rocket science. L, N and E on a ring final should connect to ALL outlets and then back the the other end of the ring (without of course connecting to each other). If you have really tested, then you will have either got connection all the way round, OR will have found the point at which you cease to get connection, and hence will have found your fault.

Does this need to be moved to the student section?

When you have a big building to test and trace circuits it can be quite daunting and if an idiot has been doing things like burying connector block in walls, I'm not surprised he's having trouble. At least he's on here trying to learn, albeit it sounds like he might have bit off a bit too much, and we've all done that at some point :^O

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:47 ----------

Think best bet is to liven up one leg of circuit with usual proviso of proceeding carefully, hence I would suggest switching off all other circuits and checking for 240v on 'dead' circuit conductors at board before proceeding any where else, cos I've had shite like that where circuits were shorting together.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:51 ----------

One other thought Nick, where is job, perhaps a fourm member could help you with this, 2 heads better than one and all that

I cant be bothered to re-read every post here, but from what you have said about the various cable sizes, broken rings etc i dont think i would waste time chasing my tail (been there) It sounds like it needs re wiring but that may not happen so split this into 2, 16 or 20A radials.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:15 ----------

Here's a thought. Have you checked continuity with all the other circuits in the board ? Its not that uncommon to find wrong pairs connected into the consumer unit making some rings fed via 2 breakers.

Oooohhhhhh post 3333

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a thought. Have you checked continuity with all the other circuits in the board ? Its not that uncommon to find wrong pairs connected into the consumer unit making some rings fed via 2 breakers.
I found a ring once, where each end was fed from it's own 32A MCB.

That wasn't even an EICR, I just found it was wrong when I went to isolate the socket circuit. My initial "turn them off one a a time" method to determine which "sockets" MCB feeds which circuit failed to isolate the one I wanted to work on.

I would like to thank all you guys for your help I'm truely great full I'm new to testing so I need to start somewhere to the people that are get sarcastic at least I do testing I've been on sites where foreign people are working

On electrical and connecting a 32 amp ring in 3A connector block and then plaster over it.

its late and i may have missed something but if the L is broken at one point and the N broken at another.

if something was plugged in and switched on then would that not be the cause of this.

what were your readings for L-L and N-N and E-E in ohms

I would like to thank all you guys for your help I'm truely great full I'm new to testing so I need to start somewhere to the people that are get sarcastic at least I do testing I've been on sites where foreign people are workingOn electrical and connecting a 32 amp ring in 3A connector block and then plaster over it.
Wait til you get to exported earths on PME system on 60 year old electrical system badly modified by builder so that some guest rooms have 3 different circuits supplying sockets bad day explode . It would really help you to have a pair of hands working with you on this, saves an awful lot of walking up and down.

Can't believe someone with so little experiance has managed to pass 2391. as a tip get a copy of BS7671 'On site guide' and follow the procedure in section 10 (10.3.2), works every time!!

Can't believe someone with so little experiance has managed to pass 2391. as a tip get a copy of BS7671 'On site guide' and follow the procedure in section 10 (10.3.2), works every time!!
So it took 3 years to reply to a post only to criticise someone that has the balls to ask for a bit of help.

I have electricians who are great at putting stuff in, but then when a fault crops up it's experience that sorts it out, not text books.

With help from this forum, hopefully he will find and correct this and be better for it and over time (years) he will be just like the rest of the experienced lot in here.

There is no need to keep slating everyone that asks a question, it's better to ask and learn, just because you pass your exams that don't make you an electrician you know.

Maybe so, but if you do not have the underpinning knowledge [to use modern terms] that is gained by passing exams, you can have all the experience in the world, you will never be any good....

How hard can it be to sort one ring out?? If you follow the proper sequence of dead, and then live tests it would be IMPOSSIBLE not to find the fault.

If youare struggling to trace exactly where the ring goes, then go buy a cable tracer..

I would have thought if you have passed 2391, then sorting out a ring would be something you could do in your sleep..

john...

Maybe so, but if you do not have the underpinning knowledge [to use modern terms] that is gained by passing exams, you can have all the experience in the world, you will never be any good....How hard can it be to sort one ring out?? If you follow the proper sequence of dead, and then live tests it would be IMPOSSIBLE not to find the fault.

If youare struggling to trace exactly where the ring goes, then go buy a cable tracer..

I would have thought if you have passed 2391, then sorting out a ring would be something you could do in your sleep..

john...
We know its IMPOSSIBLE not to find the fault, all faults will be found over time, it's the time bit that matters, what some could find in 10 minutes, could take others half a day or more.

You used the word "Ring", it may not be a ring or it may have been a ring at one time but no more, it may have been split through diy or it may have had a fault and been split because of the fault, but left on a 32A, there are lots of reasons and if your young and not done much testing on your own it can be a hands on learning curve.

There's no need to keep knocking everyone that asks a question, either help or don't, make the forum a happy place.

Hi Steve,

Yep, you are right i suppose...That is the main thing, keeping the forum a happy friendly place... I get a lot of enjoyment out of this forum, and learn one hell of a lot from it too....

I think we all forget that sometimes....

Thanks mate..

john...

more like someone incompetent modified the circuits. How many days of my life have been spent trying to make sense of ballsed up jobs - it's part of the reason I really enjoy the solar work, it's all clean new circuits so no shite to deal with.

probably right binky, and now someone else incompetent is there trying to sort it out.

funnily, I like the challenges life throws at me,

I get bored easily doing the same old same old all the time, thats why I enjoy the solar, something different.

probably right binky, and now someone else incompetent is there trying to sort it out.funnily, I like the challenges life throws at me,

I get bored easily doing the same old same old all the time, thats why I enjoy the solar, something different.
Steps I cannot 100% agree with you, I would refrain from your favourite word "incompetent" and suggest inexperienced.

We all started somewhere and that was at the beginning, I bet you have made many errors along the way as have I and all others on here.

However some will fess up and others will claim to be a GOD of the electrical world and make no mistakes ever.

Latest posts