Ouch (Important warnings to all working around electricity)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate:

Hope you`re not too badly injured? (I know; define "bad" :( ).

S`funny (peculiar, not ha-ha). I hopped off the commercial (8 day) PIR I`m currently on, to do a vacant property being sold (solicitors want a "satisfactory" report.)

Do all dead tests (TN-S, 5 finals, 30mA front end with 2x5A, 1x15A and 2x30A) ; do Ze and polarity tests. (one of the 30A is a ring, I had a socket off upstairs to split the ring and do end-ends).

Switched the RCD on, and did the tests on it (all mcbs off). Turned on the up. lights, to give illumination. When I went back up, I started putting the faceplate back on the wall.

The RCD didn`t trip - probably `cos I`d gathered up the ring neutrals and phases with the same hand. Who, in their right mind, would expect there to be a cross-connection between the 1st floor lighting circuit; and the flippin` ring main???

When my hands stopped shaking; and I could think properly again, I realised what the fault was. The plus side is they want it "up to scratch", so I`ve got a bit more work. But I don`t like finding faults that way. As Albert says, its simple complacency.

n.b. Maybe because of that - this afternoon I was doing Zs and PSC at a "Glasgow" TPN 200A switchfuse, with 200A solid links installed. Guess who was using anti-flash, goggles, gloves, notified person work? Too flippin` right. (FYI: PSC=35KA !!!!!)

Must be the season for it - hope you`re ok bud.

Got a tingle off a socket the other week,,,

I thought that I'd isolated the kitchen sockets, I'd even tested that they were isolated at one socket....and that was my problem... one of the sockets was fed from a diffrent circuit.... zzzzzzzzap

I immediately turned off all the circuit breakers (except for lights) and then checked every socket before, during and after removal

BTW,,, I was there because they had lost power to the kitchen sockets and the owner wasn't clear that that particular socket was still working (I was checking for loose terminations)

I have said it many times before and will keep saying it until the day that I forget....no apologies for repeating it here as It may just benefit somebody!!

The first electrician I was apprenticed to told me ' remember Son, even when it's off it's ON....you'll live longer and one day you will thank me; plus the smell of burning flesh is horrible '

Only yesterday this saved my family from having half an hour out with one of RevJames's mates!............... :coat

Ah, missed the 'finger flick' eyesight must be going! I am a confirmed 'finger flicker'; but WHAT a surprise when the finger flick has been used 100s of times with no end result, then you get a tickle!!!! FFS that suddendly reminds you of your mortality, then the next few flicks are a lot more tentative!....... :coat

I wish you a speedy recovery; not nice. Been there, done that! Luckily still here to wear the T shirt!

I never do a tentative flick, always a fast flick for me with a grimmace on me face :slap
that just made me laugh my head off,

but,

its probably a good bet I have exactly the same sort of grimace when I do it too,,,, :slap

You can never be too careful!

Even when you take all the precautions, bar locking off the MCB, working away happily when the boss, having fitted the 2 pendants he chose to do (easy life) turns the power back on which blows a triple slot in my brand new cutters. No shock other than surprise thankfully!

You can never be too careful!Even when you take all the precautions, bar locking off the MCB, working away happily when the boss, having fitted the 2 pendants he chose to do (easy life) turns the power back on which blows a triple slot in my brand new cutters. No shock other than surprise thankfully!
As long as they are not Knipex you have no worries.

Latest posts