Outdoor Lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsimpson1980

Reaction score
Hey, 

Looking for some help please if possible and general advise. 

While in France i purchased some garden lighting from Leroy Merlin (A french DIY Chain). Its 230v, and its linkable with various types of connectors to let you expand the system upto a few hundred metres long within the garden. 

I got some deck lights, spike lights, couple of extension cables and a mains plug. 

The instruction manual (Thankfully in english) tells me that i need to plug this into an outdoor socket with an RCD. No problem i have this... 

My questions is, if this is going into a plug socket is it notifiable under Part P. Or can i just pin the cables to the fence and under the decking?

If i pin to the fence there will be around 1.5m of cable from fence to light loose. The lights are switched on by a wireless remote control which also come with the system. 

I have read a lot online, but i am struggling to get an absolute answer. 

The cable is not SWA, its outdoor rubber cable, i think its called HO7FN (Class 2).. 

Thanks in advance :)..

My questions is, if this is going into a plug socket is it notifiable under Part P. Or can i just pin the cables to the fence and under the decking?

Part P only applies to fixed wiring, hard wired into the electrical installtion...

Any appliances, leads, accessories etc.. etc.. 

that are powered from a standard 13A plug are not notifiable under Part P.

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
Part P oly applies to fixed wiring, hard wired into the electrical installtion...

Any appliances, leads, accessories etc.. etc.. 

that are powered from a standard 13A plug are not notifiable under Part P.

Guinness
fixed wiring is covered by part p, even if it is connected by a plug. so it depends on if the lights are fixed wiring or not

Hey. Thanks for the replies.. 

Andy what do you mean fixed wiring? Then plan was i would pin it to the fence so is this what you mean? 

Thanks.