outdoor lights - fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt.leung

Reaction score
Hi, I have a job tomorrow to do some faultfinding.... this is what i have been told so far....

All street lighting is on all the time and there is a outside 2D light (as you come in) is on during the day instead of the eve...

i assume it s the timer... any ideas where i should start....

matt

;)

Looking for a faulty photocell (or one that has been covered up) .

Looking for an override switch ,perhaps, left on .

Not sure about the 2D ,does it go off at night ? in which case a timer gone out of wack.

Hey, got to the job and had a quick look round....

The job sheet mentioned that two 'D' type fitting where on and would not go off, well no 'D' fittings where on...

It also mentioned about street lights not going off, this was true but they looked like they belonged to the council so did not want to go near them... called office and they said that they are privately owned. I had no access to the lamps, so had a look around and found a couple of outdoor cupboards... locked, a resident came out and told me that the estate agents might have a key, (no idea why) so I gave it a go. No luck.

I then spotted a photo sensor, located next to the cupboard hidden away in the bushes. Pulled the top off and all the lights went off.... put a new one back on, (working live as no means of isolation). All the lights come back on after testing the new photo sensor by covering it, uncovered it and the lights went off...

Briefly took it back off so I could clean the top as it was getting really hot, put is back on to test. Nothing happened again

Hey, got to the job and had a quick look round.... The job sheet mentioned that two 'D' type fitting where on and would not go off, well no 'D' fittings where on...

It also mentioned about street lights not going off, this was true but they looked like they belonged to the council so did not want to go near them... called office and they said that they are privately owned. I had no access to the lamps, so had a look around and found a couple of outdoor cupboards... locked, a resident came out and told me that the estate agents might have a key, (no idea why) so I gave it a go. No luck.

I then spotted a photo sensor, located next to the cupboard hidden away in the bushes. Pulled the top off and all the lights went off.... put a new one back on, (working live as no means of isolation). All the lights come back on after testing the new photo sensor by covering it, uncovered it and the lights went off...

Briefly took it back off so I could clean the top as it was getting really hot, put is back on to test. Nothing happened again

about 5 to 10min roughly... would this have caused the sodium bulbs to blow or not...
No they wouldn't blow but as you have refitted the photocell it would see that it was to bright and therefore would not switch on the sodiums after they had cooled down