Panel Heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
What is cheaper billing wise in regards to having gas Central heating or having electric panel heaters you know the storage heater boards with 16amp breakers 2.5 t&e to your panel heaters 2kw they would be I just want to know what would be cheaper gas or electric bill wise?

Undoubtedly gas.

If you connect panel heaters to the storage heater board, they would be next to useless as they would only be on during the 7 hour overnight period.

Unless of course you have the old (no longer available) Total Control tariff?  That does have a dedicated consumer unit for panel heaters etc that gets the cheap rate 24/7

With gas prices being at an all time high electric heating is  sometimes cheaper. To locally use a 1 or 2kw panel heater (most average rooms only need 1kw or less to keep warm) only when needed can work out  a lot cheaper than central heating. A customer showed me his bill where he is paying less than 10p a kw hr inc vat  for the electricity.

We have been carrying out an experiment at home this winter. We have the central heating (gas) on low for a couple of hours morning and evening but are using  a couple of  thermostatic controlled  1kw panel heaters in used rooms. Will have to wait till  the end of March to compare.

Ok fare enough elecy is cheaper but basically are they the same warmth levels i.e a 2kw panel heater up against a gas central heating radiator?Would the panel heater heat the same room up as a gas central heating radiator?

Ok fare enough elecy is cheaper but basically are they the same warmth levels i.e a 2kw panel heater up against a gas central heating radiator?Would the panel heater heat the same room up as a gas central heating radiator?

How long is a piece of string ?

Loads of factors to consider such as the size of the room, windows, flat roof, insulation, number of external walls & more.

The question really is far to vague without some actual direct part/model numbers that have the power consumption and heat output specification data. Rather similar to asking is a Ford more economical than a Vauxhall. So many variables need to be considered about the item itself, than how it is used. An efficient heater used in an wasteful manner could waste more than an inefficient heater used in a thrifty manner. Just as with light bulbs the power consumption is only one element, the lumen output is the bit you see. The power consumption of a heater does not directly tell you the Btu heat output levels. It would be vary hard for anyone on the forum to give a definitive answer to your question r.b.

Doc H

On the storage heater boards as well I would want one of mine just on all the time I wouldn't want all the tariffs etc can't you just tail off in Henley block one tails doing my normal house board.Plus another tails out of the same Henley block(same supply)to the storage heater board doing my panel heaters?I just wanted the same supply for everything.I wanted to put a time lock just before it goes into the storage heater board on the tails so I don't have to touch anything it controls the times on and off, it's not for storage heaters it's panel heaters unless this is the term for it

On the storage heater boards as well I would want one of mine just on all the time I wouldn't want all the tariffs etc can't you just tail off in Henley block one tails doing my normal house board.Plus another tails out of the same Henley block(same supply)to the storage heater board doing my panel heaters?I just wanted the same supply for everything.I wanted to put a time lock just before it goes into the storage heater board on the tails so I don't have to touch anything it controls the times on and off, it's not for storage heaters it's panel heaters unless this is the term for it
:C  

storage heater

Definitely a need one of the Andys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you keep mentioning "storage heater" r.b.?

You don't have any storage heaters. You don't want any storage heaters.  So you DON'T have a STORAGE HEATER BOARD.

I dont want any storage heaters all I want is 5 panel heaters at 2kw I have already got an existing fuseboard which is full,I want to know how is the best way to do the panel heaters.How do you wire them in to a seperate board or just get a new fuse board with 5 more ways in it for the panel heaters basically?

The manufactures literature will give installation instructions. If they are to complicated for you to understand the safest method would be to call an electrician who will have been trained in appropriate design and testing of electrical installations. They will also be able to carry out an assessment of the rating and condition of the existing supply and distribution equipment to confirm that the proposed alterations will not impair the safety of the installation.

Doc H.

To install a second consumer unit requires tapping in to the tails between the meter and the existing consumer unit.

That requires you to isolate those tails to do so.  Always a contentious subject.

I suggest getting an electrician who is familiar with the correct procedures to isolate those tails to come and fit it for you.