Photocell sensor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for your input. I will go for the cheaper version as it's easy access to change if it goes wrong. Plus i Have local Screwfix and yes stores

Well been fitted 8 weeks and last night it stopped working ☹️
Investigation time

Looks like it was a Problem was the photocell. I Returned and got a exchange . Spent 2 hours trying to get the new one to work before calling my sparky mate. He came. Fiddled with it for 1/2 hour and found the new one was also not working.
Went for a different model. (More expensive) Fitted and working fine.
Original was a meridian from screwfix. New one is a lap. Let's see how long this one lasts

Looks like it was a Problem was the photocell. I Returned and got a exchange . Spent 2 hours trying to get the new one to work before calling my sparky mate. He came. Fiddled with it for 1/2 hour and found the new one was also not working.
Went for a different model. (More expensive) Fitted and working fine.
Original was a meridian from screwfix. New one is a lap. Let's see how long this one lasts
Have boxes of failed LAP products from lamps to PIRs, all failed think that's maybe why LAP ceased trading, looks like a new name Zinc took over for screwfix.

Well that didn't last long.
Stopped working tuesday night. The lights were on. All of a sudden the lights went really bright for about seconds. Then back to normal. Next day they were not working..

Could there be a problem with the lights for the power surge?
Is it common thing with the sensors.

Do I go for a more expensive sensor and see how long that lasts? Or is there another dusk till dawn solution/switch

Its a abit vague, so would 4 x 100w floodlights be ok or 4 x 5w gu10? I'm not wanting to know just making a point that the info isn't great