PIR for 10W load

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerc

Reaction score
hi

i have been asked to fit some PIRs to control access lights to a church, but they all use low wattage CFLs some 8 or 10W.

i have asked several wholesalers who say there arent any that will work that low. does anyone know of any that do?

can you add a capacative load to make it work? if so what value and how?

R

A pir should switch no mater how little if any load is on it, but obviously not exeeding its rating, unless I'm mistaken?

You are mistaken. Many have a minimum load too.
Many dont... (Dimmers DO... PIR's more frequently don't!)

PIR sensor typically just operate an internal relay contact..

Even with NO load connected!!!

You can hear it "Click" when it operates..

so its just purely the max rating of the relay contacts that is the limiting factor.

I have frequently used PIR's for switching on extractor fans..

& they take a gnats crotchet of power!!!!!

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

hii have been asked to fit some PIRs to control access lights to a church, but they all use low wattage CFLs some 8 or 10W.

i have asked several wholesalers who say there arent any that will work that low. does anyone know of any that do?

can you add a capacative load to make it work? if so what value and how?

R
The problem is the CFL's get knackered by frequent turning on & off..

They are designed to be turned on & left on..

not On/Off for a minute or two at a time! :_|

Many dont... (Dimmers DO... PIR's more frequently don't!)PIR sensor typically just operate an internal relay contact..

Even with NO load connected!!!

You can hear it "Click" when it operates..

so its just purely the max rating of the relay contacts that is the limiting factor.
Then I have been miss-informed! I enquired about using one to run an outside light with a CFL and was told that the PIR wouldn't recognise the small load!

That was a NICEIC DI who changed my CU. :C

[Think a 'groan' a little harsh?]

Thanks for the suggestions.

there are only one or two bulbs on a circuit. and probably only trigger 5-10 times per day.

the ones i have found either dont specify a minimum load or say 60watts.

i did try this a couple of years ago and it wouldnt work till i put a std bulb in.

and there is another thread that says the same. and no one has claimed to have done it satisfactorily so far either!

R