Please, need advice on what testing equipment I should be looking at...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get a good cheap clamp meter with leads for voltage, no need to pay big bucks. Worth its weight in gold !! If you are employed I would'nt be shelling out on loop testers etc.But if you do, make sure the loop tester will read without tripping RCDs.

Always have your own mains tester, and never forget the old adage which was drummed into me in the sixties, no matter who says the power is off , TEST IT YOURSELF !!!

Deke
Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley;)

Absolutely!!!

sometimes I don't even trust myself.... go back and re-check! :p :) :)

Haha! Hello again.

To Special Location -

"A clamp meter just loops around the conductor you are reading without breaking into the circuit, but must only loop around the one conductor, NOT both e.g. a Twin & earth cable."

I do a lot of T&E, lol! So, only singles then? And meter tails? If fault finding, wasn't avoiding breaking into the circuit the idea? Being able to clamp around T&E sounds handy. I wonder what the cost differences are. With these more expensive clamp meters will they work around MI and SWA? Even more handy if that's true!

Come to think of it, I think my Dad has a half decent clamp meter, not sure of the model though. I'd probably use that for learning, but having my own still seems a good idea for the future.

On the one that Apache mentioned, would it read on meter tails? I think they're 25mm sq. aren't they? Not sure myself. And what's the Fluke T5 like? I recently bought the T100 Voltage/Continuity Tester or should have bought the T5 now I think about it?

To KME -

"I`ve been looking into it this evening, and, with the fluke, unless you shoved over 1KV up its bum, it will be fine"

Could you specify which model you mean? Please.

To Batty -

"one of my wholesalers has a calibration day once a year which is good as it reminds you to get your meters tested. I think they charge

Last post first:

The only difference in testing requirements is the ability to test phase sequence.

Meter: The fluke 165x series MFT (I`m using the 1652, same as our beloved admin, and any other sparx in their right minds] :) )

You can`t clamp a "standard" clamp meter on twin + earth, but it isn`t generally a problem - clamp at the cu, where the cables are seperated anyway.

So does the Fluke do all the tests you previously mentioned? -

"Continuity of earth conductors & ring circuits with a Low resistance Ohm meter

Insulation Resistance.

Earth loop impedance.

Prospective fault current.

RCD operating times.

If 3-phase working Phase rotation."

And is Phase Sequence different to Phase Rotation then? As you can see I've got a lot to learn:) It's early days though.

So does the Fluke do all the tests you previously mentioned? -"Continuity of earth conductors & ring circuits with a Low resistance Ohm meter

Insulation Resistance.

Earth loop impedance.

RCD operating times.

And is Phase Sequence different to Phase Rotation then? As you can see I've got a lot to learn:) It's early days though.
Google it

Tests Carried out:

Voltage and Frequency

Wiring Polarity Checker

Insulation resistance 250,500 and 1000vLoop and Line resistancePFC/PSC (fault/ short circuit current)

ContinuityLoop Impedence

RCD Tripping time

RCD Tripping Current level (ramp test)

Automatic RCD Test sequence

Tests DC Sensitive RCD'sSelf Test

EN 61577* VDE 0413 Compliant

Illuminated Display

Live Voltage Indicator

Battery Indicator and Battery Test Function

Fluke 1652 Accessories

So the answer would be yes :)

Link to manual http://www.pat-services.co.uk/downloads/manuals/198_fluke_manual.pdf

So does the Fluke do all the tests you previously mentioned? -"Continuity of earth conductors & ring circuits with a Low resistance Ohm meter

Insulation Resistance.

Earth loop impedance.

RCD operating times.

Fluke 1652 doesn't do phase rotation you would have to buy 1653 to do that. Better to buy a seperate tester I don't think they are to expensive.

Batty

Thanks Apache, and Batty. I think I'm going to have to read into this more. No good talking about getting an MFT unless I know how to test, lol! But at least I know now some pros and cons of different testing equipment:)

When I'm more familiar with testing is probably a better time to make a purchase. I'll probably be more satisfied with it:)

What's more important now is to get myself some decent workwear. I'm thinking Snickers. Friday's payday:) and it's getting **cold** out there. Brrrrrr...

Thanks Apache, and Batty. I think I'm going to have to read into this more. No good talking about getting an MFT unless I know how to test, lol! But at least I know now some pros and cons of different testing equipment:)When I'm more familiar with testing is probably a better time to make a purchase. I'll probably be more satisfied with it:)

What's more important now is to get myself some decent workwear. I'm thinking Snickers. Friday's payday:) and it's getting **cold** out there. Brrrrrr...
phew - you'll never afford a MFT if you buy Snickers stuff! Have you seen Strauss Direct? (old thread on workwear here)

TLC have these for testing phase rotation @

To be honest, the only workwear brands I've seen advertised on the internet so far were Snickers, ****ies, Helly Hansen, Blaklader, ProJob, Caterpillar and so on. Would any of these stand out over any of the others, in terms of great quality at the most competitive pricing?

I was shocked to see a top jacket by Snickers being sold for

I've had some workwear from Strauss and find it decent stuff. The personalisation rates are good. Good value. I like ****ies stuff too. I posted the link and some one was also happy with them. Not sure how PTFE (ie Teflon) makes a jacket worth

Well, actually the jacket's a 3-layer jacket and there's more to Gore-Tex. The membrane is expanded PTFE (waterproof and not vapour proof, so breathable).

Anyway, I do have a Gore-Tex shell jacket, so really I could get away with using that over a fleece or tough work jacket. But it's the trousers with loads of pockets, gloves, first layer gear that I'm first aiming at. Already have an (average) company fleece.

Going to look at Strauss now:)

If you want a cheap gore-tex (or e-Vent, even better!) have a look for some second hand hiking jackets on e-bay.

You might have to wash then and re-proof them if they are dirty (look at Nik Wax's website to find out how to do it). If your work jackets are dirty it'll defeat the 'breathabilty' and waterproofing on them.