Pme Upgrade

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be the earth is simply missing?... :D (Is there provision at the HED for the earth?)
I would concur with those thoughts Ext15:D

i havent opened it up as yet can,t remember if it is sealed or not
Can't see why you would need to open anything up to identify if it is P.M.E.?

The earth connection bit is normally accessible to the side of the main fuse cut-out, typically with one or two nice big screw terminal connection positions?

Ignore your readings for now...

just identify the physical incoming supply connections..

Also I have always been under the impression that PME (TN-C-S) supply's,

have to have a durable warning label fixed very near the supply fuse with words something like "P.M.E. SYSTEM" engraved into it.

I think most of the ones I have come across do anyway?

Are you sure its not a TN-S with the earth gone AWOL?

To do your Ze you should have isolated all bonding so you only read through the supply earth. :| ?:|

your quick Zs at a socket (100ohm) could be a bad socket connection, or something else on that circuit maybe?

I would concur with those thoughts Ext15:DCan't see why you would need to open anything up to identify if it is P.M.E.?

The earth connection bit is normally accessible to the side of the main fuse cut-out, typically with one or two nice big screw terminal connection positions?

Ignore your readings for now...

just identify the physical incoming supply connections..

Also I have always been under the impression that PME (TN-C-S) supply's,

have to have a durable warning label fixed very near the supply fuse with words something like "P.M.E. SYSTEM" engraved into it.

I think most of the ones I have come across do anyway?

Are you sure its not a TN-S with the earth gone AWOL?

To do your Ze you should have isolated all bonding so you only read through the supply earth. :| ?:|

your quick Zs at a socket (100ohm) could be a bad socket connection, or something else on that circuit maybe?
agree about label(nothing there ) cabel entering head is insulated so there is no clamp for tns so i dont think this is awol

havent done ze yet as inspection did not prove there to be an earth, iknow this may sound daft but in my defence i will do this when i upgrade board at that time I always tend to think if i cant see something it is not there but i take on board your segesstions do you have any more?

is it a concentric cable?

is the 1st house really PME or has some1 just opened the cutout and linked it?

is there any good reason you couldnt TT the house anyway?

DONT like PME,

its big gurls earthing, LOL.

does seem strange tho that 2 houses next to each other are different.

thats what really makes me wonder about part 1, and if 2nd house is water main earth only!!!!

agree about label(nothing there ) cabel entering head is insulated so there is no clamp for tns so i dont think this is awolhavent done ze yet as inspection did not prove there to be an earth, iknow this may sound daft but in my defence i will do this when i upgrade board at that time I always tend to think if i cant see something it is not there but i take on board your segesstions do you have any more?
Spooky! 'welcome to the twilight zone'....

The earth that isn't there?

one house is pme the other as far as i can see is tt but i cant find an earth stake outside.
Spose it could be TT with a stake been buried or lost over the years..

how old is the property?

I have had a TT job where the original earth rod had be buried under 4inches of tarmac on a driveway down the side of the property.

and I've had another where the earth rod was suck in the ground...

below an internal floor.. :_|

lift the boards.. and there was me rod! :D

Looks like you need to go on a thorough "Rod Hunt"! follow every bit of yellow/Green wire you find.. see where it goes to??

Just seems very strange two properties next door to each other? :|

Are the both the same sort of age.. or was one a later addition to the street? :| :(

Now, forgive me for being daft guys:

If I have a TT where I can`t get a good reading; or physically demented issue to send in a rod, I`ll ask DNO for PME. If available(usually is!), they do it for about

can we assume this house is within distance for DNO to provide a PME system tho?
Although we SHOULDN`T assume anything (assome makes an ass of u and me!), Due to the nature of this forum we must, sometimes, assume certain things.

HOWEVER, every item of info or help we provide, can only be based on the info provided. Otherwise, we`d all refuse to throw our tuppence-worth in until we`d seen the job, and done a few basic tests.

So yes, I think that would be an acceptable assumption, until or unless we are given information to the contrary!

( Guinness is WELL good!!!)

Now, forgive me for being daft guys:
Absolutely NO CHANCE!!! X(

It has to be one of the main terms of registering on this ere interweb forum...

or is it now a fiveum wot with the oil prices & inflation??? ?:| :p :p

It is your duty to be daft at least once every three posts... OR greater! :eek: ] :)

; \ ;) :x :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

:OOh:Oer....okay.?

Nobody told me that one. :_| :( :_| :( X(

sad, dejected, unloved, and sitting in the corner with a poodie
sad? yep thats ok!

dejected? that one as well!

unloved? but of course!

and sitting in the corner with a poodie???? X(

SITTING? who gave you permission to sit?

you goto be standing on one leg, in a bucket o cold water] :)

Welshy! KME's been nickin your chairs again!!! :eek: :p:p:p;\ ; \ :^O :^O:^O:^O

is it a concentric cable?is the 1st house really PME or has some1 just opened the cutout and linked it?

is there any good reason you couldnt TT the house anyway?

DONT like PME,

its big gurls earthing, LOL.

does seem strange tho that 2 houses next to each other are different.

thats what really makes me wonder about part 1, and if 2nd house is water main earth only!!!!
Could be concentric old cable on insulators under soffit has been joined to newer cable which enters house.

first house is proper pme seen the same sticker 100,s of times and head is right for it.

only earth i can find is to cold water main. I will do ze when i go back there and see what i get.

as a matter of interest these are small town terraced houses from about 1910

Spooky! 'welcome to the twilight zone'.... The earth that isn't there?

Spose it could be TT with a stake been buried or lost over the years..

how old is the property?

I have had a TT job where the original earth rod had be buried under 4inches of tarmac on a driveway down the side of the property.

and I've had another where the earth rod was suck in the ground...

below an internal floor.. :_|

lift the boards.. and there was me rod! :D

Looks like you need to go on a thorough "Rod Hunt"! follow every bit of yellow/Green wire you find.. see where it goes to??

Just seems very strange two properties next door to each other? :|

Are the both the same sort of age.. or was one a later addition to the street? :| :(
please see reply i sent to steptoes post.

It is because of the two houses next to each other that i was surprised one was but the other seems not to be.

old green earth to plumbing is all i have found so far.

sorry if i have not explained this properly i am not stupid but perhaps at times a bit irrational, when i go back i will put me sensible head on. Thanks for your advice thus far P.S i always remove earth from c. u. when testing Ze. Parrallel paths are misleading.