Possible Faulty Db

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrics_new

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help - I've got an issue with an Opal Garage Consumer unit - never seen this issue before.

I've installed a new DB inside a customers property and armored cable into the garage with a IP rated DB (Opal 5 way).

The garage DB has the following installed.

x 1  Radial Circuit (socket)

x 1  Security flood light (mounted outside the garage)

x 1  Florescent light (with jump starter)

Issue is this when I plug in a socket tester - two green lights and audible tone should indicate that the radial circuit is wired up.  I used the tester inside a new radial circuit inside the property and it works fine.

However, when i plug it into the garage radial circuit - it shows that the neutral and live and reversed.  I've checked this and my connections are correct.

However, when I turn on the MCB's for the two lights the status on the tester changes - no missing earth, missing neutral - getting a lot of weird results.

Can anyone advise ?

Is this a fault DB issue or something else ???

Thanks

There is only one socket in the garage - it's a very weird issue.

How can turning on MCB's affect the socket ??????????

+1

It sounds like your ONLY testing so far has been with a plug in socket tester.

A few minutes with a volt meter and continuity tester would resolve this and eliminate where the problem is.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is a poor earth which will fool these simple inadequate "tester"  What sort of earth and what's Ze?

do you want us to talk you through how it should be tested? Surely your training taught you that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Concur with the above.

We need to know the test results ( live AND dead) before saying much more.

Socket testers have some inherent issues - which would be why we don`t tend to use them in this manner.

I think I know what the problem may be - but we need test results to be sure ;)

So you do a new install and carry out initial verification with a socket tester, without apparently having done any dead tests first???? Ever thought this might be dangerous??? How you planning on filling in the EIC then?? "used socket tester"

john

I'll go back to site and take some test readings........

The most probable fault is YOU... or

Faulty test equipment!

on the face of it it does sound as though you have failed to do correct dead tests PRIOR to energising anything...

As has been said.. you should ALREADY have these test readings noted down...

You may recall as well as verifying your Earth continuity..

you will have verified Polarity of your final circuits and your distribution circuit into the garage...

These are done before you stick the power on as per BS7671...

Or didn't they cover that during your training... (or did you do training?? )

:coat

No self-respecting electrician on this site would advise you regarding the next course of action, without seeing the test results - THAT is a recipe for a disaster. So, the answer to your PM is no, I will not tell you what I think the problem may be, because I may be wrong - and, if you haven`t tested the install yet; anyone saying " oh, it could be xxxxx" could either:

a) Be pointing you in the wrong direction, or

b) Be providing an excuse to not test - which rates somewhere between reckless and downright dangerous.

Go do the tests that ought to have been carried out before the supply was connected; and the live testing if you are competent to do so; and post your findings - though I would expect that you will be able to tell from the results where the fault lies.

KME 

Is this a fault DB issue or something else ???

Thanks
did they not cover I&T on your short course, or just enough for you to pass a test yet have no idea what you are actually doing?

from previous experience with plug in testers, i can pretty much tell you exactly what the fault is, but if you had tested it properly in the first place you would have found it before even switching on the power. ill give you a hint, its probably something to do wit R2 (thats the earth, since they probablyy didnt cover that on your short course)