Problem of the week

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First would be isolate and open all the fittings and switches. House built early 90s old colours. Recent addition(loft light) new colours. Trace from there back to wherever they have "Sellotaped" their junction.

This really got me thinking steps. I think I would first go to the cu carry out safe isolation identify the up and down stairs lighting circuits and carry out continuity between phase and cpc on both circuits whilst proving polarity after i have removed any bulbs and any other thing that could give me false readings. then run an insulation test. Depending on readings that would prompt me

to investigate further. I would check for any loose connections.

come on guys,

what is the FIRST thing you would do?

its absolutely nothing to do with school, its YOU.

what would YOU do, not what have you been told to do.

Going to go out on a limb here (dont slap me too hard if im a million miles away)

is it possible that the loft light has a borrowed neutral with a back feed?

hmmm seems ive been beaten to it with this idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also chase the wiring in the loft carry out a visible inspection on it to see the switching arrangements on it also see if any junction boxes have been used to check them out too.

i would go and see for myself what the lights did.
star for that man,

never ever believe what a customer tells you,

no lights working at 9pm on a saturday night usually means the conservatory bulb has blown and they have friends over for cocktails.......

I would flick the switches and witness and check the fault myself before I isolate the supply as I won't be able to see any fault myself and would just be going from what someone else said if I turn the supply off...

Going to go out on a limb here (dont slap me too hard if im a million miles away)is it possible that the loft light has a borrowed neutral with a back feed?

hmmm seems ive been beaten to it with this idea.
I think you are confusing 2 different types of fault,

borrowed neutrals are NOT the same as backfeeds.

S*** someone else already said that... I should learn to type quicker.. Lol

That's what I thought. Ok, I would operate the lights to see what happens as previously said, then have a look inside switches and pendants, try to trace which cable is doing what regarding the loft light

Now I have checked it myself I find it was a reflection from the landing light. Owner alittle p****d from his cocktail party.

I would forget dead testing for now I'd see what voltage is at the loft light with all the different switch combinations and see what voltage you have when it glows slightly

Are the 2 ways and intermediates connected up correctly and where is the loft light fed from