Pumped Return Hw

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd just finished doing the 1st fix alterations and additions on a large house,,, its being gutted! and the plumbers have asked me to wire the boiler controls (S plan using a wireless stat) as well as a pumped return on the HW so that the owners don't have to wait long for HW at the taps..

Sounds great, but how are these pumps wired? Do they have any controls or do they run 24/7?

The ones I have done I have always put a timer in, if they are running 24/7 they will fail after a few years and I always think people won't want to hear water flowing in the middle of the night.

Same as above  ,,,  This pump should be a bronze bearing  type which does last. However even on one of my fairly recent jobs where money doesnt (didnt) matter this pump has gone from on 24/7 to times on for 5 hours a day to off. We have also fitted standard type time clocks to the boiler to turn off even though its all underfloor heating that should be left on .

You can actually buy the bronze pump with the time clock built in, so no need for separate clock.

Although the plumber may put it in such a way you cannot see it or get to it even though they supplied it.

I find it hard to believe a plumber would make it difficult for a spark to do his job they are always so helpful.
Here's a couple of gems I got from him the other day....

He's never fitted a macerator and he's also never fitted a fully enclosed shower (you know, the ones with a roof)...ffs I've fitted a few of each and I'm not even a plumber :shakehead

Same as above  ,,,  This pump should be a bronze bearing  type which does last. However even on one of my fairly recent jobs where money doesnt (didnt) matter this pump has gone from on 24/7 to times on for 5 hours a day to off. We have also fitted standard type time clocks to the boiler to turn off even though its all underfloor heating that should be left on .
To be honest, I would not select a bronze bush pump & motor as they have much reduced life against a correctly designed pump & motor using "anti-friction" bearings, thus, that is what should be selected, a correctly designed pump/motor unit could well have a design life in excess of 50 years running continuously.

When I've done them I fit a pipe stat so when the return gets up the heat the pump cuts out and stops circulating the water  im surprised nobody else here does the same 

I always thought the idea was instant hot water in large properties the way you do it surely it won't be instant especially if stat is in airing cupboard were it will stay hot especially if its done correctly with pipes insulated.