Question about running electrical heating unit in home

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petar2

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if it could be possible to run the following unit in my family's small, rural home:

TROTEC TDS 75 Electric Heater (Max. Heat Output: 15 kW)

The unit is rated:

Power consumption: 21.7 A

Input Voltage: 400 V/50 Hz

And the only thing that I currently know about the electrical in our home is that it is 220V.

Might it be possible to install a "step-up transformer" or "inverter" (maybe on another panel) that could allow us to run this thing?

What other pertinent information may I need to find out exactly regarding the electrical in our home?

What an earth do you want one of those for in a house?  That is meant for heating a workshop or similar large space.
Howdy, Dave.

The reason that I'm thinking of putting this in the house is because it seems like it might be most simple/effective solution to heat the place during the winter.

I still need to go and measure the place to know exactly how many cubic metres we are talking about, but the charts that I have looked at seem to indicate something in the 9kw + neighbourhood in order to potentially heat the whole (or some parts) of the place.

Any info regarding question or alternative suggestions?

Thanks

Don’t worry about the voltage worry about the electric bill, say a unit of electricity is 15p then that would equate to:

15x15=£2.25 per hour which is £54 per 24 hour period, which is £378 per week.

You are surely not seriously considering running a heater like that.

i would have thought thought some tubular heaters at 60W per foot placed near vulnerable freezing areas would be more suitable.

I do this on a property with a 6ft tube heater and a 2 foot tube heater and 5 meters of trace heating tape, works a treat, touch wood.

Wait a minute, just reread, is this property occupied or unoccupied?

If occupied get a log burner and maybe an oil central heating system

Don’t worry about the voltage worry about the electric bill, say a unit of electricity is 15p then that would equate to:

15x15=£2.25 per hour which is £54 per 24 hour period, which is £378 per week.

You are surely not seriously considering running a heater like that.

i would have thought thought some tubular heaters at 60W per foot placed near vulnerable freezing areas would be more suitable.

I do this on a property with a 6ft tube heater and a 2 foot tube heater and 5 meters of trace heating tape, works a treat, touch wood.

Wait a minute, just reread, is this property occupied or unoccupied?

If occupied get a log burner and maybe an oil central heating system
Ok, but that is assuming that it is going to need to run for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

What if I manage to heat the main floor with far less running time? 

What if it only runs for like 2 hours total per day in order to accomplish this? 

Could someone please tell me more about what the electrical requirements might be?

I still need to measure the cubic metres that I'm working with exactly/

the update here is that I am thinking of trying one of these, per floor, instead: 

TROTEC TDS 20 R Electric Heater 3 kW

Would not seem to require any electrical work, and could keep the second one shut off the vast majority of time.

If I could get away with running the first one ~8 hours per day, would be ok.

The problem with these type of heaters are they are directional and therefore immediately in front of it will be exceptionally warm but the remainder of the are only heats via convection, which if your property is cold then can take a huge amount of time if at all to heat. 
why can you not use a conventional system, there is a reason they have been developed, mainly they’re the most efficient way to heat a large area?? 

where in the world are you? 

Just buy some 3KW plug in convector heaters. CPC have them on offer at the moment, built in thermostats and switchable power levels.

I assume this is just a temporary measure while you sort out come proper heating?

What if I manage to heat the main floor with far less running time? 

What if it only runs for like 2 hours total per day in order to accomplish this? 

I'm guessing you have some form of old cottage?? If you 'flash heat' the air, it doesn't sink heat into the old walls and within an hour the house will feel cold again. Slow, low heating over longer time periods allows heat to soak into old walls which then act a little bit like a night storage heater. Those big space heaters you have been looking at are noisy and will not get heat into all the corners so to speak, plus you are paying for running the fan. Old style convection heaters will probably work better for you.