Question about spurring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thourgood

Reaction score
Quick question guys;

Currently doing a few bits in my kitchen as its getting fully gutted apart from the electrics. Only question is I need a socket at low level behind a unit for a dishwasher and the only socket available to spur from already has a double socket for the kettle and fridge Spurred off it. My question is can I spur another socket off the same one on the ring thus having 4 cables at the socket, I know it won't be fun connecting it up with 4 cables but i don't see anywhere that is says this is not allowed.

My initial thought was it would be ok as long as I fitted a 13A FCU before dropping down to the socket for the dishwasher But I could be miles out

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What about if I replace the socket on the ring with a 13amp FCU could I take the 2 spurs off it then?

Yes if you replace the double socket with an FCU, you can feed anything you like from it.

But if you turn the kettle on while the dishwasher is on, it's goodbye fuse in the FCU.

If the kitchen is being guttted, do the job properly, and extend the RING so that the existing double socket is on the ring. Then you can spur from that for the dishwasher socket (via an FCU above the worktop for good practice)

Alternatively if that's too much trouble, spur from the next nearest socket instead. It's all getting gutted and re done so there's no issues are there? Make sure all your cables keep to safe zones.

Get someone in mate, do it right the first time, could save you money in the long run and how you going to notify your work

Quick question guys;Currently doing a few bits in my kitchen as its getting fully gutted apart from the electrics. Only question is I need a socket at low level behind a unit for a dishwasher and the only socket available to spur from already has a double socket for the kettle and fridge Spurred off it. My question is can I spur another socket off the same one on the ring thus having 4 cables at the socket, I know it won't be fun connecting it up with 4 cables but i don't see anywhere that is says this is not allowed.

My initial thought was it would be ok as long as I fitted a 13A FCU before dropping down to the socket for the dishwasher But I could be miles out

Thanks
Do the FCU thing.

No accessibility etc.

I think I'm just gonna pull some slack on one of the ring legs and make the socket for fridge + washer part of the ring. Then I can take a FCU off that socket to the dishwasher and safely know its adequate for what I will be using it for. Cheers for help guys

Washer, dishwasher, fridge, kettle, plus whatever dryer may be, that's a lot of loading, think you should think this through first before you start any work

Samson337 talking sense ....take the advice , it's what you came on here for...

Back to the original question, Yes you could add another spur to the back of the socket that already has a ring and a spur connected. I have seen it plenty of times but i would not do it. Just because there is not a picture of this scenario in the OSG doesn't mean it must not be done. With all the carp sockets these days i doubt you would get 4, 2.5 cables in the terminal. How about extending the ring by crimping in the back of the box rather than spurs.

Quick question guys;Currently doing a few bits in my kitchen as its getting fully gutted apart from the electrics. Only question is I need a socket at low level behind a unit for a dishwasher and the only socket available to spur from already has a double socket for the kettle and fridge Spurred off it. My question is can I spur another socket off the same one on the ring thus having 4 cables at the socket, I know it won't be fun connecting it up with 4 cables but i don't see anywhere that is says this is not allowed.

Thanks
1/ Excluding electric showers.....

A kitchen and/or utility area probably takes 80%+ of the average domestic properties electrical deamands...

2/ Electricity always generates heat as it passes along a cable...

Poor joint and connections cause increased heat and arcing and sparking...

Larger loads.. (2.5kW ish and above) such as washing machines, tumble driers, kettles,

increase the wear and deterioration of the cables to a much greater extent than lower power items..

e.g TV's PC's home entertainment devices..

3/ If you are NOT in Scotland then electrical alteration work in Kitchens has a legal obligation to comply with part p building regulations,

including the issue of a compliance certificate confirming that the work has all been done in accordance with BS7671 & Building regs....

Can you self certify your own work? if not you should notify the LABC BEFORE you commence work.

4/ "my kitchen as its getting fully gutted apart from the electrics"

If the kitchen is being FULLY gutted...

why are you wasting your time doing a half a job and not tiding up ALL the electrics at the same time?

That has got to be one of the daftest refurbishment plans ever!!

5/ Don't worry..

Once the kitchen is all decorated you wont see the dodgy joints melting until it probably starts a fire or someone gets a shock..

6/ I would make sure my ring is continuous throughout...

make sure NO j/boxes...

All cables in safe zones...

For any under counter appliances I would have a double pole switch on the ring above worktop with the output going to a non switched single below the unit for the appliance.

:C

Last edited by a moderator: