question?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavindrummond

Reaction score
As some of you may know I have been working for free for my local authority to pick up some experience and in with a shout of being taken on as a sparks mate. Well good news I was told yesterday there taking me on and I get to go to collage to carry on with my studies. The job centre said I can claim money to help with tools but it's a weird set up in order to get it. I was informed that I have to get an invoice first before they will release funds but you only get an invoice if you purchase an item first. It's a catch 22 situation. So if any body got any ideas on this please comment. :)

U have to buy the tools up front then claim them back this is probably so you can't lie about claiming tools back that you haven't bought

Use a credit card if you haven't got it, don't use your overdraft. Long as you get it all back in the first month it won't cost you interest. Just check if they have a limit to how much they will give you before you go buying expensive tackle!

A mate did the same last year when he set up his own business

You have to provide invoices before they pay

Just be careful and find out exactly how much they will fund because he was told 2k ( :mad: nobody offered me squat when i set up) for a van, tools and clothing, he spent 1200 on a meter(650)tools(400)and clothing and at that point he enquired about the grant for a van ( basically saying 800 buys a heap of metal) and was told changes had been made and now there was no grant left for a van and the upper limit for him overall was 800 which is what they paid, even though he had invoices for the full 1200

He sold the meter the next day on eBay for 350 because he had two old martindales he's back on the rock n roll now

:confused:

As some of you may know I have been working for free for my local authority to pick up some experience and in with a shout of being taken on as a sparks mate. Well good news I was told yesterday there taking me on and I get to go to college to carry on with my studies. The job centre said I can claim money to help with tools but it's a weird set up in order to get it. I was informed that I have to get an invoice first before they will release funds but you only get an invoice if you purchase an item first. It's a catch 22 situation. So if any body got any ideas on this please comment. :)
Well done, mate, you deserve it for your perseverance. Now work even harder, and prove that they made a wise decision. ;)