Quick Advice Please.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave2

Reaction score
I've been asked by a farmer if it is possible to provide a cctv system to his barn which is 100m away from the main house.

He needs the system so that he can remotely monitor his cows when they are due to give birth.

I have not been to the premises as yet but there is only mains supply to this building and any future wiring back to the house would be out of the question.

Would like to know if there are any options available before I go and investigate.

There are available cctv transmitters and receivers that claim to have a range over 1000 Metres. (But that is only for clear line of sight)

I would guess that you would need one pair for each camera, yes you could use a switching DVR and transmit its signal, but what happens if the farmer wants to watch just a specific camera? He cant because the DVR is constantly switching.

If It was me (and it isn't) I would decline the job, on the basis, it sounds like an easy way to make money, but when any problems occur what can you do about it since it is all being transmitted through the air, that is also on the assumption it works in the first place.

The fist transmitter and receiver I found cost £50 / pair, 4 Cameras minimum, that's £200 before you start, I would consider asking the farmer how much he thinks it will cost.

It will be interesting to follow what you do or do not do, please let us know.

And of course, others may have a better idea.

for me the best solution is to pass because cable is 100 meters and thus avoid the large costs to put ip cameras

I am thinking out loud, but if you had a WiFi camera would that not mean the WiFi would need to be "extended" to cover the 100m? My router's WiFi doesn't work 100 feet let alone 100M.

access point  at his home, access point as client at the barn, both with directional antenna, and 100m should be possible. with the right kit, you can get a few miles from wifi. you can then connect cameras via wifi to the client, or via cat5 (and switch if more than 1). and you can easily add more cameras once the network part is set up

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for the quick responses.

I did think that the job could be a minefield but I will go and have a look and let you all know.

Powerline Ethernet for wired ip cameras?

Not tried powerline myself, but I know others that have and have had good success.

You could even use PoE to power the cameras.

Not cheap but if you got the powerline Ethernet to work then that would be half the battle.

I would caution against using normal Cat5E though, as rats love it.

You would need to use Cat5E SWA if you were going to cable in the barn, unless the farmer is willing to replace it bi-annually at least!

Another option would be steel trunking or conduit I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a look at the job today.

The main single phase incommer is to an old unused barn. At this point it is split 3 ways. One to the main house, one to another barn and the third to this cow byre.

The cow byre that requires cameras is some 50m from the house and it is about 40m long. I reckon it would need at least 8 cameras as the cows are roaming throughout the byre. 

There is one socket and a floodlight supplied in this byre.

Any cable run between the house and byre would involve overhead, clipped to building and some 5m buried!!

I doubt if a DVR would be feasible in the byre as it is totally open to the elements.

Hope this helps.

half decent night vision cameras would work on the barn end without need for floodlighting. I get good reports on gadgets that transmit data down power lines via sockets, not sure if they would work for CCTV

There is one socket and a floodlight supplied in this byre.

Any cable run between the house and byre would involve overhead, clipped to building and some 5m buried!!

I doubt if a DVR would be feasible in the byre as it is totally open to the elements.
As I first said

If It was me (and it isn't) I would decline the job, on the basis, it sounds like an easy way to make money, but when any problems occur what can you do about it
You already have problems before you start. There are too many things to not work  / go wrong / you do not have experience of.

But I have to ask, did the farmer give any indication how much he is willing to spend on this?

Customer I have come to today has just bought s swan wireless system from costco. 4 cameras.

It's probibly on there web site.

The farmer thought it would be about £2000.

He said if it saved one cow only then his 2 grand would have paid for itself.

It would take me less than 2 days to install cameras and equipment.

I would not hard wire from byre to house.

The only problem for me is the wireless access points and would they work over 50m.

Latest posts