Quickie!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Unfortunately, not the kind most of you were thinking of!!!

I've got to run a cable which has to cross the main gas supply pipe. It's unavoidable, so was wondering whether it was better to go behind it or in front of it??? Does it need to be run in conduit of any sort?

Cheers

Nat

Few more details please fella. What type of cable (PVC, SWA, etc), Situation (outdoors, internal and owt else). Is the pipe surface clipped? What method of installation was you thinking for cable (clipped, burried in plaster, etc) think you get the idea.

In general though there should at least be some sort of separation.

Few more details please fella.
Hi Barx, I'm not a fella - I'm a lass;)

What type of cable (PVC, SWA, etc), Situation (outdoors, internal and owt else). Is the pipe surface clipped? What method of installation was you thinking for cable (clipped, burried in plaster, etc) think you get the idea.
Cable type is 2.5mm T&E and it's inside the garage. The pipe is a big ****** which is clipped to the wall. My intention was just to clip the cable to the blockwork/brick as it's only a very short run (400/500mm), perhaps put some capping over it.

Cheers

Unfortunately, not the kind most of you were thinking of!!!
Quickie ?:| ? :|

hmmm!

Well if I am total honest.. the first though that did cross my mind was.....

embarrassed smiley

NO I wont be honest!! :| ]:) ;)

I've got to run a cable which has to cross the main gas supply pipe. It's unavoidable' date=' so was wondering whether it was better to go behind it or in front of it??? Does it need to be run in conduit of any sort?

Cheers

Nat[/quote']

I would of thought that a 2.5mm could pass behind a gas pipe without too much difficulty?

If you had to bring it around the front of the pipe...

I would probably use a bit of 20mm flexible conduit, to make a little bridge from wall surface over pipe & back to the wall.!

you say the run is only short .. so you could do the whole distance in a bit flexi conduit if you wanted..

It would probably look neater & a bit more mechanical protection! ;)

Is this the suppy for the boiler by any chance,,

garage... short run... over past gas pipe???

Firstly, apologies for the gender bending. Always nice to see the female of the species at work.

Secondly, SL I think SHE was thinking more along the lines of separation from other services. That's how I read it anyhows. But then again I cant even tell blokes from birds. lol.

If t'was me doing the job I would do 'something' to cover the cable. Be it capping or conduit. Conduit would prolly look better but it depends how much the pipe stands off.

Quickie ?:| ? :| hmmm!

Well if I am total honest.. the first though that did cross my mind was.....

embarrassed smiley

NO I wont be honest!! :| ]:) ;)

I would of thought that a 2.5mm could pass behind a gas pipe without too much difficulty?

If you had to bring it around the front of the pipe...

I would probably use a bit of 20mm flexible conduit, to make a little bridge from wall surface over pipe & back to the wall.!

you say the run is only short .. so you could do the whole distance in a bit flexi conduit if you wanted..

It would probably look neater & a bit more mechanical protection! ;)

Is this the suppy for the boiler by any chance,,

garage... short run... over past gas pipe???
would agree, a little piece of flexy conduit would tidy the whole thing up and look better,. ;)

run it behind pipe if there is adequate clearance fit short piece capping/mini trunk for protection.If you go round pipe and it ever has to come out they will pull cable out of their way and leave it hanging like a washing line

yours benji

Just got the 17th Edition On Site Guide yesterday, courtesy of Amazon, and interestingly there's a new line about gas pipes that i hadn't noticed in the 16th or 17th edition regs.

Separation of gas installation pipework from other services.

Gas installation pipes must be spaced:

a) at least 150mm from meters, controls, switches, sockets distribution and consumer units.

B) at least 25mm away from electricity cables.

So it looks like the option of placing the cable behind the pipe is not on anymore, and a bridge over the gas pipe, 25mm away using the suggested flexible conduit is the correct way to do it.

Thank Gawd it is a Non statatory book then. :(

Just got the 17th Edition On Site Guide yesterday, courtesy of Amazon, and interestingly there's a new line about gas pipes that i hadn't noticed in the 16th or 17th edition regs.Separation of gas installation pipework from other services.

a) at least 150mm from meters, controls, switches, sockets distribution and consumer units.

So it looks like the option of placing the cable behind the pipe is not on anymore, and a bridge over the gas pipe, 25mm away using the suggested flexible conduit is the correct way to do it.
Why? It's not the old magnet on the meter trick? Some kind of magnetic inductance stopping it reading correctly? Can't see it should pose an explosive risk. ?:|

Just got the 17th Edition On Site Guide yesterday, courtesy of Amazon, and interestingly there's a new line about gas pipes that i hadn't noticed in the 16th or 17th edition regs.Separation of gas installation pipework from other services.

Cheers Turin

Knew about distance from meters, etc, should've continued reading!

Flexi conduit it is then!

Isn't the separation to do with "Parallel runs" as opposed to just crossing over?

i.e. to stop the old cowboy installations strap cables along pipe run???

??????????????? ?:| ? :| ?:|

yep, bung a bit of flexy behind the pipe, use the good old steptoe rule book and deviate, remember 7671 is NOT the be all and end all, just do it, BUT do it SAFE.

yep, bung a bit of flexy behind the pipe, use the good old steptoe rule book and deviate, remember 7671 is NOT the be all and end all, just do it, BUT do it SAFE.
I would concur entirely with you there Bud...Applaud Smiley;)

Anyway.. more to the point

This TT holiday bit then..

do I understand from you post (somewhere else)

you were actually riding in some event or other & were successful in your chosen field????

Do I need to crack open another one of KME's beers to congratulate you?? ?:|

Steps - never expected to be deviating on filling out my first EIC! In the box, do I just enter the fact that I've run a cable behind the gas pipe then???

I would concur entirely with you there Bud...Applaud Smiley;)Anyway.. more to the point

This TT holiday bit then..

do I understand from you post (somewhere else)

you were actually riding in some event or other & were successful in your chosen field????

Do I need to crack open another one of KME's beers to congratulate you?? ?:|
close SL, the TT was actually just a long weekend in June, just been at the Manx Grand Prix (same course but for the amatuers like us), where a very good fortnight was had. Im only a spark so cant actually afford to race, Im only a spannerman, but had a GOOD time anyway, my mate got a 15th and a replica, might not sound much but even finishing is in itself a great acheivement never mind getting a replica, the guy he shares a garage with made history, google DAN KNEEN , his dad is actually coming to my little ones christening this weekend, so Im pretty stoked at the mo, :D :D:D Guiness Drink

There you Mr Steps. I was worried as you hadn't been on since the 8th of Sept. I was going to ask "The Don" to line his boys up and for them to search for you.

That makes a change doesn't it? The Dons' boys normally hide the bodies and other peeps have to try and find them.

:eek:

:D

There you Mr Steps. I was worried as you hadn't been on since the 8th of Sept. I was going to ask "The Don" to line his boys up and for them to search for you.That makes a change doesn't it? The Dons' boys normally hide the bodies and other peeps have to try and find them.

:eek:

:D
why thank you admin, just hectic at the mo, what with having 3 weeks off, now trying to catch up on work, trying to rip out put in a new kitchen for agnes and hoping not to drown the ba its madder than usual round the yard these days..... :| :|