Quiet switch needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyngarth

Reaction score
Hi

Right a young mother down the road from me has two autistic boys, which have just started to get upset and cries whenever she turns a socket or light on. It

Legrand light switches are pretty quiet, both plate and pull, sockets aren't so much though. Crabtree pull switches are, or were, pretty quiet also. As for sockets, not sure what is quiet TBH, most make some sort of click\clunk. MK are probably one of the quieter ones, Crabtree again don;t make much of a noise.

Not really used much of anything else for a while, the above is just from what I have used myself.

I know people don't like them but if you pop into your local B&Q they usually have a long line of accessories that you can click away on to your hearts content. Find one and then get them cheaper elsewhere.

Is what I'd do.

HiRight a young mother down the road from me has two autistic boys, which have just started to get upset and cries whenever she turns a socket or light on. It

I've always found Clipsil socket switches to be quite.

There was a touch plate for a light switch, I believe it also acted as a dimmer. Touch it once for on, again for off and if you hold your finger on, it dims or brightens. Can't remember the Company though.

Might as well just use switched ones and not turn them off. I'm not a fan of using unswitched sockets for general usage, not so sure it would always comply with BS7671 either as you don;t want to be plugging\unplugging kit under full load.
Don't think there is anything in regs to say they have to be switched as they are shuttered but generally switched ones are cheaper these days so thats what you use.

I've always found Clipsil socket switches to be quite.There was a touch plate for a light switch, I believe it also acted as a dimmer. Touch it once for on, again for off and if you hold your finger on, it dims or brightens. Can't remember the Company though.
varilight, you can get a remote for them aswel

My youngest son has Aspergers Syndrome - a type of Autism. I can understand the problems that it can cause. When he was younger he got terrified when we went into shops because of the sound of fans. To us there was hardly any sound but he seemed to hear it very loudly. I have since learned that people with autism can have a heightened sense of hearing. School was a problem because he was terrified of the noise of urinals flushing and would not even go in to the toilet!

He is now 22 and there are lots of particular things that bother him. I would go for a PIR in the bathroom and touch plate electronic switches in other places. There arent many switches that are silent. Best of luck!

Hi

Many thanks to you all, I have gone through all the posts and have noted all makes and suggestions and will try to check out as many as I can over the next few days.

We are going with the pir option for the bathroom, as this is the main one which sets the boys off.

So is it OK to go ahead with unswitched sockets? As that might be the best way for the boys room, but will check out a few makes to see which would do for the rest of the house

Will also price up some touch plate switches tomorrow as this might be the best for her, not sure what the best make is but my local shop did say he would do his very best price if he has it in stock so will find out what make he has in stock and see what you good people think.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to reply,

Lyngarth

bad day explode bad day explode ( I had to put this on as David, the youngest boy can't stop laughing at it )

P.S His Mum has just said to pass on her thanks to all of you for your help.

HiMany thanks to you all, I have gone through all the posts and have noted all makes and suggestions and will try to check out as many as I can over the next few days.

We are going with the pir option for the bathroom, as this is the main one which sets the boys off.

So is it OK to go ahead with unswitched sockets? As that might be the best way for the boys room, but will check out a few makes to see which would do for the rest of the house

Will also price up some touch plate switches tomorrow as this might be the best for her, not sure what the best make is but my local shop did say he would do his very best price if he has it in stock so will find out what make he has in stock and see what you good people think.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to reply,

Lyngarth
I'd appreciate that. :D

bad day explode bad day explode( I had to put this on as David, the youngest boy can't stop laughing at it )
Then he may like this one that I added Today. (Oh, and I have added plenty more too).

boom

P.S His Mum has just said to pass on her thanks to all of you for your help.
She is most Welcome. :x

I think threads like this are what makes this forum all worthwhile.even though I had absolutley no input to it whatsoever.
Agree 100% :D

Hi

Right just an up date, my local shop has been very good to us and after taking away a few sockets to try out with the boys, we are now going for MK sockets and pir light switches.

He has give me/her a price of

Excellent news Lyn.

Thank You for the Update - It was only Yesterday that I was looking at this thread wondering how it was all going.

I was going to wait until Tonight before bumping it up.

Best Wishes,

Admin.

Latest posts