Quoting for a job from plans

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
I have been given the architects plans for a new build property

how do you guys start quoting for this

do you pick out all the points and price per point or per room

anything to look out for that i may miss on the plans ????

and they wanted this new house fed from their other house cu :^O :^O:^O

so i need to sort out a new supply :_|

thanks in advance

Theo

First thing is how will the building be constructed? i.e. is it timber framed? Is it going to be rendered and plastered or will it be dot and dabbed?

Select a time frame per point depending on the above. Lets say 1 hour (if there is to be chasing) 0.5 - 0.75 hour if not.

Count up all the points and when counting light switches, 1 gang equals one point.

The total of this will be your labour allowance.

Next work out your materials. When allowing for cable, work it out via room sizes or allow 10mtrs for sockets, 5mtrs per switch, 5mtrs per light etc.

Then add it all together, does that look reasonable? Adjust as necessary, this is just a quick way of doing it.

There's an excel spreadsheet in the download section designed for this example.

Thanks for that post

cable allowance was something i have never thought of

I price per point, and I find an hour per point is usually about right. I never do a new build on a fixed price, I give an hourly rate and an estimate of time and an estimate for materials.

What's with powering it from a different CU? Are they trying to build a new house joined to an existing one and avoid the cost of a separate supply? I can't see that working. Educate them that they need a new supply laid in and a dedicated CU for the new house.

I price per point, and I find an hour per point is usually about right. I never do a new build on a fixed price, I give an hourly rate and an estimate of time and an estimate for materials.What's with powering it from a different CU? Are they trying to build a new house joined to an existing one and avoid the cost of a separate supply? I can't see that working. Educate them that they need a new supply laid in and a dedicated CU for the new house.
thats what i have told the builder

First thing ,Theo, is let the builder sort out the electric supply , don't get involved with it , you're not being paid to worry about it.

Then as the others have said , count all the accessories ,boxes, C/unit. With drawings I use a scale rule to measure cable runs. Add 'em up, add 15 or 20% (How badly do need the job?)

Then comes the guessing game . You need your experience to estimate how long the first fix will take you (Drilling joists, chopping boxes in, running cables. ) Builder probably have you pencilled in for a certain amount of time.

Resist starting too soon , there should be a slot for you and the plumber .

as deke says nothing worse than turning up when all other trades are on site and the screed going down par for the course :_|

This is were building a good relationship with all the trades is a must.

When i do this i never have a problem.

Every job is different TS, first thing for me is to work out whether i'm just pricing it so the builder has a comparison against his regular sparks or whether there's a realistic chance that I might get the job.

Secondly i've started charging now for quotes. I'll still give free ball park estimates (looks like a grand to 1500 to me mate type stuff) but realistically the industry has to change and i'll stick to my guns.

If anyone here thinks that they can get a surveyor to do a free survey and cost estimate for a new build... crack on :)

I've found that I can spend all week pricing up jobs for free if I so choose but not actually earn any money. So for me the writing up of a quote following a site visit is chargeable.

Anyway, on to the pricing... depending on my mood, I might look at it and think... 4 days for 1st fix?... and about