Raspberry Pi

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine came from CPC.

TESCO sell a 1a USB supply for 4£, you still need a micro lead though,

A blackberry playbook charger kicks out 2a :)

You dont need a mouse.

You CAN receive CANAL+ etc if you move your sat dish round a bit.

theres reviews on amazon. make sure u shop about because i know there are a few comapnies that take half the ram and charge you more lol.

yer,

make sure you get a model B,

good point ASH,

also, the model A has not only half the RAM, but also missing a port or 2 as well, CPC are actually very clear on the 2 different models,

the A is much less power hungry so will suit more experimenters running battery models etc.

Cheers seems reasonable.  

Will the quality of the streams be superior to my laptop for any reason? On the forum i was reading some said it was far superior to a normal stream others said it was the same as a computer.  

I have a lead to plug my macbook into my tv but the quality is aweful.  

I get good quality on my PC,

the Pi was designed [on purpose or by accident I dont know] around a graphics chip, so it should be good quality compared to your lappie, depending on your lappie specs obviously.

Im currently sat watching moto2 on my PC and its a good picture,

my Pi use is on hold for a couple of weeks while the house/media stuff gets swapped around a bit, the wife got gave a little tv for the bedroom, so it needs aerialed(?) and a freeview box connected etc....

EDIT,

yes, if I watch eurosport via the Pi on the TV then it is a better picture than my PC,

but, for some reason the stream stutters a lot, I think its the settings I have, films on memory stick etc are fine.

Well I got mine because it was cheap and compact and can be mounted (stuck) behind the TV. The HDMI is great and for watching films from a stick or drive works really well.

I have mine attached to the network for iplayers and its fine, but for films I normally download using desktop PC onto stick or drive.

That's the bit I did'nt like, tried Raspbmc on one card, the browser was awful, so went with Xbmc which has no browser but is great for the video's and music.

I've not stuck the Raspbmc in for ages, maybe give it a look later, may have had many updates and be a lot better.

I use a wireless hand size mini keyboard with mouse pad, bought from Maplins, makes life really easy navigating.

I...EDIT,yes, if I watch eurosport via the Pi on the TV then it is a better picture than my PC,but, for some reason the stream stutters a lot, I think its the settings I have, films on memory stick etc are fine.
That would be the reason for me to get one. Streams are ok on the laptop but full screen is crap as is putting them on a 50 inch tv!

Streams are usually fine and stutter free , get about 30-40meg here, but the quality is the problem. Watching films would just be a bonus .

OK,

from my VERY limited knowledge, if the picture is fine on your laptop but rubbish on your big screen then it can only be one of 2 things,

the stream isnt very good quality, a lot of the streams I watch arent that brilliant TBH, but good enough definition to watch,

2nd, your graphics card isnt good enough

dunno how you figure that out,

probably watch a DVD and compare it to a stream, if the stream is a lot worse then its the stream, not your computer, not much you can do about that TBH.

Love mine (got two).  Using it as IR Transceiver and to 5 RGB circuits.  Not for the faint hearted, but nice cheap media centre that you can stick on the back of your tv.  Search fdor Openelec

Latest posts