RCCB tripping randomly

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the very least the next sparky should test the RCD'S to see how they are and also clamp the tails to see what the back ground leakage is........ Then depending on those results do some individual circuit tests......
I'll also mention this to him, hopefully will get results. Thanks

Here's a thought

have the builders been working over Xmas?

has it tripped over Xmas?

just wondering
They work everyday except Sundays. It tripped 4 times on Saturday and twice on Monday. Both days I heard their tools start up just before the RCCB tripped.

I'll also mention this to him, hopefully will get results. Thanks

They work everyday except Sundays. It tripped 4 times on Saturday and twice on Monday. Both days I heard their tools start up just before the RCCB tripped.
We were always taught to listen to the man onsite who works the machine /plant / installation etc  before diving in with all guns blazing  and this is a prime example .

Weird stuff happens , I know its next door's supply but you just never know .  My house is the same line as next door , theres a tee joint under the drive.                          I posted this before but we spent an embarrassing amount of time once solving a tripping RCD  that tested out fine .   We had rewired c/w new Starbreaker Split load board  . I'm standing there glaring at this damn RCD  ....swore at it   ( sometimes works  :C )   ...and tapped it with my screwdriver ....it tripped ......tapped it again ...it tripped.    Dawned on me that the front door slams with a right bang so did that ...it tripped .    

Replace RCD and rode off into the sunset , never to return. 

We were always taught to listen to the man onsite who works the machine /plant / installation etc  before diving in with all guns blazing  and this is a prime example .

Weird stuff happens , I know its next door's supply but you just never know .  My house is the same line as next door , theres a tee joint under the drive.                          I posted this before but we spent an embarrassing amount of time once solving a tripping RCD  that tested out fine .   We had rewired c/w new Starbreaker Split load board  . I'm standing there glaring at this damn RCD  ....swore at it   ( sometimes works  :C )   ...and tapped it with my screwdriver ....it tripped ......tapped it again ...it tripped.    Dawned on me that the front door slams with a right bang so did that ...it tripped .    

Replace RCD and rode off into the sunset , never to return. 
Thanks for that.

They've been working on the same wall, the other side of the wall where the fuse box is. Could be the vibrations make it trip. I'll have to investigate that.

OK, apart from the excellent advice already given, an RCD can be susceptable to an upstream fault causing "nuisance" tripping, it shouldn't, but it can.
I've seen intermittent RCD tripping caused by the switching on of streetlights outside the property. Never got to the bottom of exactly why but the RCD passed all ramp tests etc.... I'd guess it was due to phase angle issues caused by the highly inductive ballasts. Replaced it with a new item of the same make and the problem persisted, eventually just replaced it for a different make which sorted it out.

Well he,s removed the main switch  & replaced it with the RCD  and fitted a different make RCD in the middle & some different MCBs  which I would have said ...won't fit that board.  .  I'm confused as I always thought only Starbreaker accessories fitted Starbreaker boards . 

Also confused as I can't tell if you now have a dual split board without a main switch  or the Starbreaker RCD IS the main switch > 

Could you take a picture with the cover off without electrocuting yourself ?

Has the tripping ceased ?

Last edited by a moderator:
ERM,

No, 

Is the short answer, 

I'd love to know what actual problem he has fixed. 

If anything, he has created problems, IMHO 
That's not good. He's supposed to have fixed the rccb tripping, but obviously it would go days without tripping sometimes so we won't even know for the next week or two if it has been fixed.

Well he,s removed the main switch  & replaced it with the RCD  and fitted a different make RCD in the middle & some different MCBs  which I would have said ...won't fit that board.  .  I'm confused as I always thought only Starbreaker accessories fitted Starbreaker boards . 

Also confused as I can't tell if you now have a dual split board without a main switch  or the Starbreaker RCD IS the main switch > 

Could you take a picture with the cover off without electrocuting yourself ?

Has the tripping ceased ?
I thought that was weird as well that it's missing the big red isolator switch. I'm at work and my wife was at home when he came, she could have spoken to me first before letting him do the work.

I'm at work and she sent me the photo at work. I'll take a pic tomorrow and upload it here.

Can't really say as it sometimes happens after a few days and sometimes after weeks. I'll have to keep a close eye on it.

OK   Take that picture with the cover off... only two screws to remove cover ...don't stick your fingers in it  and don't leave the cover off  in case the kids start messing .

Those boards have only take Starbreaker  plug-in breakers ....nothing else fits them . 

Possible concern with the 32A alarm circuit too.

OK   Take that picture with the cover off... only two screws to remove cover ...don't stick your fingers in it  and don't leave the cover off  in case the kids start messing .

Those boards have only take Starbreaker  plug-in breakers ....nothing else fits them . 

Possible concern with the 32A alarm circuit too.
Thanks. I'll do that first thing after I wake up. I hope that's not £90 gone down the drain.

I wonder how he's managed to fit them if they're not designed for that board. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

I could be wrong ....I often am ..... but that would be a revelation to me to find a different breaker that fits that board.     They are , in  my opinion , one of the best domestic boards ever made .      Lets see what tomorrow brings .

20161230_073644.jpg.7bfd5270a994b7acd677fc37568678de.jpg

Here's a pic of the inside of CU...

Interesting solution to a tripping problem. By replacing the main switch with another RCCB, either you now have no main switch to isolate all ccts or you have two RCCBs in series. Neither of these are satisfactory, suggest you get a few torches handy

to confirm you need a pic of the bottom of the breakers showing how the copper bars are connected

Can't help thinking this thread is a wind up, but meh :C

FWIW nothing will fit in a starbreaker except starbreaker but anything from electrium's self combusting range will fit in a loadstar.

Something very wrong here, I wouldn't even know where to get a phase guard breaker!

FFS. he's replaced one with an identical and then swapped the main switch for another RCD. now if you have a fault there is no discrimination so instead of just your sockets tripping you will now be in the dark too

did you get his number from muppets R us?

I would get him back to UNDO his little modifications. Then ask for a refund as he's incompetent. (IMHO)

Can you post a picture looking at the inside of the CU from below it, i.e so we can see the bottom of all the mch's etc.?

Isn't that a loadstar CU?  Apart from anything else the position of the original RCD has changed, you can't so that on a starbreaker. So they are not plug in mcb's and he's just unecessarilly bodged the wrong make of mcb into it.

Latest posts