RCCB tripping randomly

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Whoever did this was not an electrician.

I'd agree with the "returning it to how it was before and getting a refund bit". If that doesn't go down too well report him to to his scheme provider (assuming he has one). In fact, report him anyway. This is a complete bodge and parts have been randomly/wrongly/unnecessarily been replaced.

looking closer, there is a lack of rings that i would expect to see on the LHS. especialy looking at the neutral terminal where they look paired up.

little test for you - turn off the now 6 MCB's one at a time. something should go off. if it doesnt, turn off the 3 new ones, then turn off an existing MCB. if something now stops working, turn on the new MCB's. if it comes back on, its wired dangerously and fed from 2 MCB's. either way, id be getting the idiot to come back and put it back to how it was

EDIT: this might be slightly easier. turn all MCB's on the left off. then turn on 1 and note what comes on. switch off, do the same for the rest. if the same things come on twice, then its wired wrong

I'd be interested to know what he did with the other B50 and B6 mcb's, another job perhaps?

looks to me like he's split rings across breakers!

Having another look at this....

How does it even work,  all the neutrals are in the wrong places! :shakehead

Maybe I'm wrong......
You're wrong,!

:slap

That's the feed into the rccb ,,,,,  

But,,   

Surely the L & N are reversed,,, :C

TBH,

it's fiking LETHAL,!!!!!!

baddayexplode

You're wrong,!

:slap

That's the feed into the rccb ,,,,,

But,,  

Surely the L & N are reversed,,, :C

TBH,

it's fiking LETHAL,!!!!!!

baddayexplode
+1 to that.

To be honest I would not want the incompetent man back again (he's not an electrician)

I would get someone else, preferably someone recommended to you to come and sort it out and make is safe again.

I would also write to the first person and tell him his work was incompetent and dangerous and you will be sending hiom the bill from the second electriain to make it all safe again.

If you post part of your postcode perhaps a member on here will be close enough?

FFS. he's replaced one with an identical and then swapped the main switch for another RCD. now if you have a fault there is no discrimination so instead of just your sockets tripping you will now be in the dark too

did you get his number from muppets R us?
It now looks that way. I'm going to post another pic of the underside.

So what EXACTLY does his invoice say? Did he provide certificates for the devices he has changed?

Sounds like you have had a cowboy in your house .........

AND why has he put 2.5mm into 32A MCB's ............... scary stuff TBH
He didn't leave a receipt. He probably is what you say he is. I have no idea what he's done. I wish I knew more about this stuff.

I would get him back to UNDO his little modifications. Then ask for a refund as he's incompetent. (IMHO)

Can you post a picture looking at the inside of the CU from below it, i.e so we can see the bottom of all the mch's etc.?

Isn't that a loadstar CU?  Apart from anything else the position of the original RCD has changed, you can't so that on a starbreaker. So they are not plug in mcb's and he's just unecessarilly bodged the wrong make of mcb into it.

It's a Crabtree Loadstar. I'll post a pic in a few mins. I don't think I'll ever see a refund and I definitely won't want him to do any more 'work' on it. 

looking closer, there is a lack of rings that i would expect to see on the LHS. especialy looking at the neutral terminal where they look paired up.

little test for you - turn off the now 6 MCB's one at a time. something should go off. if it doesnt, turn off the 3 new ones, then turn off an existing MCB. if something now stops working, turn on the new MCB's. if it comes back on, its wired dangerously and fed from 2 MCB's. either way, id be getting the idiot to come back and put it back to how it was

EDIT: this might be slightly easier. turn all MCB's on the left off. then turn on 1 and note what comes on. switch off, do the same for the rest. if the same things come on twice, then its wired wrong
I've tested what you said and I'll post the findings shortly.

I'd be interested to know what he did with the other B50 and B6 mcb's, another job perhaps?

looks to me like he's split rings across breakers!
Seems that way now that I'm starting to understand more of how this works.

He didn't leave a receipt. He probably is what you say he is. I have no idea what he's done. I wish I knew more about this stuff.

Well.... if you have his name and address maybe a call to your local trading standards office and then one to HMRC?

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to that.

To be honest I would not want the incompetent man back again (he's not an electrician)

I would get someone else, preferably someone recommended to you to come and sort it out and make is safe again.

I would also write to the first person and tell him his work was incompetent and dangerous and you will be sending hiom the bill from the second electriain to make it all safe again.

If you post part of your postcode perhaps a member on here will be close enough?

Steptoe is close to me. I've just lost out 90 quid it seems so it's going to be a bit hard to get it all fixed so soon, I'm guessing it will cost a lot more do get a proper job done of it.

Well.... if you have his name and address maybe a call to your local trading standards office and then one to HMRC?
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give him a call first and explain what he has done and then give him a chance to fix it or refund me.

Steptoe is close to me. I've just lost out 90 quid it seems so it's going to be a bit hard to get it all fixed so soon, I'm guessing it will cost a lot more do get a proper job done of it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give him a call first and explain what he has done and then give him a chance to fix it or refund me.
To put it back, your really need the MCB's he has walked off with to go back in.  Show him this thread on the forum and all the comments about his work.  I guarantee if Steptoe ends up sorting it out, it will be safe.

In the mean time if you take the cover off again to take more photos then DO NOT touch the neutral bar in case as we suspect it is live.

DSC_0044.jpg.d99a59552d0750990c835191ca3ef09b.jpg
Right, here's a pic of the CU underside.

I've tested the MCB's (not all) and have found that the first MCB from the left and the Third one both do the same thing which is turn on/off the downstair sockets.

To put it back, your really need the MCB's he has walked off with to go back in.  Show him this thread on the forum and all the comments about his work.  I guarantee if Steptoe ends up sorting it out, it will be safe.

In the mean time if you take the cover off again to take more photos then DO NOT touch the neutral bar in case as we suspect it is live.

Yeah, I'm sure Steptoe would do a great job I don't doubt that.

If I show him this thread he might not get back to me again as he's been called all sorts on here lol, but I know what you mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, here's a pic of the CU underside.

I've tested the MCB's (not all) and have found that the first MCB from the left and the Third one both do the same thing which is turn on/off the downstair sockets.
So as suspected, he has fed the ring from two mcb's.

Well he has come up with a "unique" solution to the rcd being the wrong way round for the board. He hasn't left it reverse polarity, but boy what a bodge he has done there with that extra bit of busbar.

Latest posts