RCCB tripping randomly

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice peeps.

I might just get a new metal unit installed rather than messing about with this one, possibly an RCBO one depending on what the prices would be.

@steptoe by looking at my pics would it be possible to get a price (total including parts/labour) to replace the consumer unit with an RCBO or MCB one?
Yes,

I'm still at work,

So will send you a message when I get home,

How much physical apace do you have around the consumer unit,?

Could we get a wider angle picture showing the general layout,?   

Thanks for the advice peeps.

I might just get a new metal unit installed rather than messing about with this one, possibly an RCBO one depending on what the prices would be.

@steptoe by looking at my pics would it be possible to get a price (total including parts/labour) to replace the consumer unit with an RCBO or MCB one?
Yes,

I'm still at work,

Personally I do not believe that CU needs replacing. It just needs to be put back as it was, and the rcd tripping issue checked out and fixed

I'd agree with that, tbh,

Just reinstate it properly, and test what you have existing, 

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my question in all this fiasco, as established this is the work of an incompetent person, quite frankly I'm ashamed that our industry allows such, but realistically who in terms of authority is the customer to turn too for redress? 

I can't think of one body in the industry that would take serious action, which makes a scam of all the red tape we get wrapped up in? 

Anybody have any ideas or contacts? 

I'm also a bit more sympathetic towards the customer, he's obviously displayed a strong resolve to do the right thing, he has tried to find reputable contractors but time after time he's had his pants pulled down and he's now gone from having an intermittent RCD triping fault to being the proud owner of a whole bunch of new circuit breakers he didn't need and CU that someones just butchered....and by the sounds of it the initial problem isn't sorted out either.

Personally I do not believe that CU needs replacing. It just needs to be put back as it was, and the rcd tripping issue checked out and fixed

Thanks, I would prefer it to have two RCDs and the power switch. If they would be able to fit in the same box that would be great.

Yes,

I'm still at work,

Yes,

I'm still at work,

I'd agree with that, tbh,

Just reinstate it properly, and test what you have existing, 
Thanks, sounds good. I will take a picture tomorrow of the space around the CU.

Here's my question in all this fiasco, as established this is the work of an incompetent person, quite frankly I'm ashamed that our industry allows such, but realistically who in terms of authority is the customer to turn too for redress? 

I can't think of one body in the industry that would take serious action, which makes a scam of all the red tape we get wrapped up in? 

Yes, but the wrong time of year for some.

I need to know what scheme the "so called" Electrician is in to know where to put it, and who with.

The builder's power tools were running most of the day today but no RCD trips, but then again it can happen after 10 days or 20 days so I'm thinking will be very hard to find the fault, it's very intermittent. 

thats the problem... trading standards but its unlikely they would be interested. if he's not with a scam then they wont be interested. if he is with a scam then he has passed their criteria as competent so they still wont be interested

about the best you could hope for is either give him a chance to put back to how it was (along with a refund) then get someone else, or if he refuses then get someone else to do it then small claims court to get back what he was paid. id expect the he would also need some evidence to present to court of how dangerous the installation was left (im sure we could help with that), and that the work he done was unnecessary and not only did it not fix the problem, but what he done couldnt have fixed it (i.e the fault causing the tripping was found to be on a circuit and not the board etc)

either way, option 2 might be more hassle than its worth, so unless he does option 1, then its probably not going to get very far

I would like to report him after I get all this sorted.

If I do get an all RCBO CU fitted wouldn't it be easier to find the fault (if any), as only one RCBO of the affected circuit would trip and we'd be able to tell exactly which circuit the fault is on?

Or have I got it all wrong?

You have it exactly right Mr Bond .   Your existing board could be changed to all RCBOs ...AND...a main switch without a great deal of trouble .   The fact that its made of plastic wouldn't bother me ....but ... you could get a queue of electricians on a Forum , in a galaxy far away saying ..."  Oooo he should have changed to steel "

Really if you're shelling out on RCBOs  you may as well go with steel ...as long as it will fit in the space.

I would like to report him after I get all this sorted.

If I do get an all RCBO CU fitted wouldn't it be easier to find the fault (if any), as only one RCBO of the affected circuit would trip and we'd be able to tell exactly which circuit the fault is on?

Or have I got it all wrong?
Correct

i will only fit RCBO Boards now...but I do not do that much domestic .

SBS Dave forum sponsor DP RCBO on every circuit if customer will pay, ( fitted one at home 6 months ago, another at adopted daughters)

if not then I use CGD control Gear Boards and RCBOs

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone. I'm just thinking if I do get an all RCBO board fitted at least in the future if I have an issue it will be easier to locate the fault.

I was looking at this board earlier...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-sentry-100a-12-way-main-switch-metal-consumer-unit-6-x-rcbos/8318p

If I can get it cheaper, even better.

Lol @ Mr Bond. I like your style Mr Evans.
Be aware that this board may not have the selection of RCBOs that you need for your particular job

you.may need to buy some more and be stuck with the ones you do not need as I doubt screwies will takes them back  

Just find a couple of local sparks through recommendation and get them to quote BUT be aware that the current mess needs sorting out and then there is the small matter of the tripping too.....

Find somebody you trust before you try and tell them what to fit!

I won't fit that make fwiw

Latest posts