RCCB tripping randomly

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm sure Steptoe would do a great job I don't doubt that.

If I show him this thread he might not get back to me as he's been called all sorts on here lol, but I know what you mean.
He is so incompetent, he probably does not realise what he has done wrong, so needs to read it here. Perhaps it might educate him, or better still persuade him to choose a different profession. One can only wonder how many dangerous installations he is responsible for.

He is so incompetent, he probably does not realise what he has done wrong, so needs to read it here. Perhaps it might educate him, or better still persuade him to choose a different profession. One can only wonder how many dangerous installations he is responsible for.

Very true, but you know most of them won't even care what we think. They'll carry on as normal.

Is it dangerous enough that I need to get it sorted immediately?
Apart from the bodged busbar, which is very poor indeed but not an immediate danger, the immediate danger is the ring, now fed from two 32A mcb's, so in reality you have very little in the way of overload protection,

A competent electrician could put that all back to rights in under an hour I am sure, and then do some test to check it is safe and see if they can find a rerason for your original problem of the rcd tripping.

I definitely wouldn't have him back in your house, accept you've lost £90 and  1. Get a decent spark in to fix and get a report with photos  2. Report to trading standards and anybody he is affiliated to. 3. Name and shame on here!

This thread highlights two fundamental problems within this industry;

1/ An abundance of semi skilled labourers who have little or no knowledge about how to correctly design, install, inspect or test electrical installations.

2/ An abundance of customers who naturally have limited knowledge about electrical installations, but who also forget the basics of shopping that would normally be applied in every other aspect of purchasing goods or services. I cannot imagine many women purchase clothes without ensuring they have a written receipt and full understanding of the refund and exchange policy. Or many men buying that new bit of tech computer, phone, entertainment system, game console, without keeping control of receipts in case something goes belly up. Yet when a person calling themselves an electrician does work for someone, all to often customers do not insist upon copies of invoices and or test results or schedule itemising the actual work carried out.  All materials supplied by a trades person should still have manufactures warranty's, if a customer has no dated invoices or receipts it becomes very tricky to prove how long something has been installed for thus to pursue any claims for defective work or materials.

We all understand that if the industry was more rigorously controlled then standards would improve, but also if more customers were a bit more astute at getting written confirmation of work done monies paid etc. possibly a few more bodgit and scarper electrical outfits maybe restricted in where they can operate.  I do hope you can get a satisfactory solution to this rather amateurish mess Wah007.   I would guess that Crabtree RCD is the same item just moved, so if it does trip now it will take out the whole installation not just part of it. 

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread highlights two fundamental problems within this industry;

1/ An abundance of semi skilled labourers who have little or no knowledge about how to correctly design, install, inspect or test electrical installations.

2/ An abundance of customers who naturally have limited knowledge about electrical installations, but who also forget the basics of shopping that would normally be applied in every other aspect of purchasing goods or services. I cannot imagine many women purchase clothes without ensuring they have a written receipt and full understanding of the refund and exchange policy. Or many men buying that new bit of tech computer, phone, entertainment system, game console, without keeping control of receipts in case something goes belly up. Yet when a person calling themselves an electrician does work for someone, all to often customers do not insist upon copies of invoices and or test results or schedule itemising the actual work carried out.  All materials supplied by a trades person should still have manufactures warranty's, if a customer has no dated invoices or receipts it becomes very tricky to prove how long something has been installed for thus to pursue any claims for defective work or materials.

We all understand that if the industry was more rigorously controlled then standards would improve, but also if more customers were a bit more astute at getting written confirmation of work done monies paid etc. possibly a few more bodgit and scarper electrical outfits maybe restricted in where they can operate.  I do hope you can get a satisfactory solution to this rather amateurish mess Wah007.   I would guess that Crabtree RCD is the same item just moved, so if it does trip now it will take out the whole installation not just part of it. 

Doc H.
Thanks Doc.

I wasn't at home, he said he would be at my house between 4-5pm and turned up at 9.30pm, this was when I had gone to work as I start at 7pm. My wife was home and she didn't know much, but I can't blame her.

Now if I can get this checked my a proper electrician and ask him to make a detailed report, and if I can put pressure on the him by showing him the report maybe he might refund me.

Thanks Doc.

I wasn't at home, he said he would be at my house between 4-5pm and turned up at 9.30pm, this was when I had gone to work as I start at 7pm. My wife was home and she didn't know much, but I can't blame her.

Now if I can get this checked my a proper electrician and ask him to make a detailed report, and if I can put pressure on the him by showing him the report maybe he might refund me.

How long was he at yours?

Shame you haven't got a picture of the inside before he started meddling..... you DO need somebody to come and look at that shambles..... sooner rather than later - if you were close to me I would have given you an hour of my time ......for free....

pop his name in this site and see if he's registered..

http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

I very much doubt you will get a refund.

Try to find his registration body (if he is registered) and report.
I will just have to accept the loss. I will look into it.

How long was he at yours?

Shame you haven't got a picture of the inside before he started meddling..... you DO need somebody to come and look at that shambles..... sooner rather than later - if you were close to me I would have given you an hour of my time ......for free....

pop his name in this site and see if he's registered..

http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/
He was at mine for 1 hour maximum. I can remember from the last time the box was opened that there were two wires in each of the left hand side MCB's and now there's only one in each of them.

Thanks I really appreciate that.

I'll check that out now.

yes. your sockets do not have adequate protection against overload or fault conditions. if there is a problem there is a chance of a wire melting etc before the MCB's trip
Thank you. I'm going to look at getting this sorted ASAP.

Seriously .... if this is what we can see, the whole install is suspect. I asked for a look at the busbar as I was curious how he had made it work. We don't know what pressure is on the neutral cable as it crosses the busbar with tape on. This cannot be left like this. Its only a small DB and a handful of ccts. At least whoever goes out know they need a main switch and a range of MCBS to get the install back to regs (of the day). Its not a big deal to get it to an acceptable state but what a  mess... :-(

Oh Dear  !   It looks like the work of a 5 week wonder  or one of the many builder/plumber/kitchen fitter  types who think they are electricians by default.

Yes as  my esteemed colleagues have said ...its NOT a Starbreaker  its a Loadmaster . Fair play , you can fit standard MCBs into those.  

He,s left you without a Main Switch .

He,s left you with the two legs of a ring main in different breakers   .

He,s done nothing to solve your tripping problem that I can see.   ( The right hand RCB is probably the one from the centre of the board. )

I very much doubt that he is a properly trained electrician :-

1.  No Main Switch.

2.  Ring main legs in different MCBs.

3.  That piece of copper busbar is very close to the Neutral flexi-tail below his new RCD in terms of shorting out.

Thanks for the advice peeps.

I might just get a new metal unit installed rather than messing about with this one, possibly an RCBO one depending on what the prices would be.

@steptoe by looking at my pics would it be possible to get a price (total including parts/labour) to replace the consumer unit with an RCBO or MCB one?

I know Andy, but that one will only switch off the first three breakers .

EDit :-     Sorry Andy you're correct , just had a look,   the way he's linked it , it acts as a main switch  so its not even a dual load board  , gets worse.!

I know Andy, but that one will only switch off the first three breakers .

EDit :-     Sorry Andy you're correct , just had a look,   the way he's linked it , it acts as a main switch  so its not even a dual load board  , gets worse.!
yep, now has 1 upfront RCD with no discrimination. probably a word he hasnt heard of

Thanks for the advice peeps.

I might just get a new metal unit installed rather than messing about with this one, possibly an RCBO one depending on what the prices would be.

@steptoe by looking at my pics would it be possible to get a price (total including parts/labour) to replace the consumer unit with an RCBO or MCB one?
Personally I do not believe that CU needs replacing. It just needs to be put back as it was, and the rcd tripping issue checked out and fixed