rcd protection required?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no martyr but fella's come on. loosen up.

The opening question and statement made in post #15.

"does the swa need to be on a rcd? Opinions please."

"..'was there any reason it should be on a rcd'"

They are the same to me! The answer or (same) outcome may be obvious to some no matter which question was asked.

Guide them. Do not ridicule them.

The fact that Guy's boss had doubt shows he's capable of learning. Thus accepting advice.

As Guy asked "opinions please"

Help your comrade. That is why you are a forum member is it not.

well , as I said, the OP was in the completely WRONG manner,

we get this all the time, people coming on in the 3rd person when actually they want us to design their install for them.

either learn to be truthful or expect to get hammered for asking a numpty question when you are pretending to be a skilled tradesman/lady ,

[going to school for 5weeks doesnt make you a skilled anything BTW]

This thread has been the proof of that,

Im not saying the OP is a numpty, but either his boss is, or the question was worded totally wrong.

I have to agree with Riggy on this. Not everyone is eloquent and able to describe a situation accurately. Sometimes it is better to ask a few searching questions, without any sarcasm, to try and assess the ability of the poster. Then any replies can be better directed to the actual question. Tearing in to the OP has no merit and, sometimes, may even be detrimental to the responder.

It's not easy on the ego on a forum like this to admit that you don't know something. Just having the courage to ask a question should be applauded, regardless of how simple the answer may be to the more knowledgeable.

We all have our pet hates but please, guys, a little more tolerance will go a long way to keeping this a happy place.

But after reading guys first post - may be he should of asked first, before putting the swa in, or his boss should of. You can't go doing electrical work if your not sure 100 per cent sure you no what your doing. But if I'm honest I think the boss is a bit of a smoke screen. I think the key is, be honest if you don't no say so in you opening post. That way I think you will get more help.

With regard to the original question, Andy gave a perfectly accurate answer in post #3. It didn't really warrant any further discussion. Nor did he try to belittle the poster, he just answered the question. Could do with a few more like him, to be honest.

Disgraceful reply in this context, particularly from a moderator!
Not supprised that the same members spend more time complaining about how other members answer posts rather than giving answers themselves. The OP asked for opinions about a boss who doesn't know if cuircuits he's designing need RCD protection. I gave an opinion, why should moderators be barred from having opinions. I assume you think Guys boss is a competent role model for Guy to follow. Doc H

With regard to the original question, Andy gave a perfectly accurate answer in post #3. It didn't really warrant any further discussion. Nor did he try to belittle the poster, he just answered the question. Could do with a few more like him, to be honest.
He asked for opinions,

He got them!

Absolutely gutted that some of the people here are implying I am a liar, assuming i am asking questions in the 3rd person when its for me, no, utter rubbish. Any previous post you read of mine will show that I have no issue with the fact that I am an electricians mate lacking experience and knowlege. I have had a look in the regs and yes people stating 'no rcd' are correct but us having a discussion about having 8m of conductor under a floor with no fault protection, its not crazy talk is it. Got in from work, made a brew and threw the question out in my friendly helpful forum and 2 pages later I am apparently a ****ing liar.

Why not give people the benefit of the doubt? If they are a numpty it soon becomes obvious!
Possibly the same question could be asked of why some members spend a lot of time criticising other members posts rather than answering the thread subject? Doc H---------- Post Auto-Merged 19th August 2012 at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was made 18th August 2012 at 23:35 ----------

Absolutely gutted that some of the people here are implying I am a liar, assuming i am asking questions in the 3rd person when its for me, no, utter rubbish. Any previous post you read of mine will show that I have no issue with the fact that I am an electricians mate lacking experience and knowlege. I have had a look in the regs and yes people stating 'no rcd' are correct but us having a discussion about having 8m of conductor under a floor with no fault protection, its not crazy talk is it. Got in from work, made a brew and threw the question out in my friendly helpful forum and 2 pages later I am apparently a ****ing liar.
There is no specific requirement for RCD shock protection on distribution circuits, be they on walls under floors up gardens. Fault protection is still provided by an upstream fuse or MCB. I think some members are shocked at the lack of knowledge of your boss. Doc H

And what post was it that called you a liar?

As long as its a TN system no RCD protection should be needed on a distribution circuit this is assuming disconnection times can be met. I have just had this on a Kitchen refurb. I have removed the existing 16mm TW/E that fed the consumer unit in the next room. This was plastered in the wall with no protection at all. I have installed an SWA buried in plaster alongside a TW/E that feeds another outlet that way its in a safe zone. I personally wanted to take SWA outside the property then back in but customer didn't want this. So I took the route which I followed which complies with the current regs.

Possibly the same question could be asked of why some members spend a lot of time criticising other members posts rather than answering the thread subject? Doc HLike you did with your initial input in post 14?

well , as I said, the OP was in the completely WRONG manner,we get this all the time, people coming on in the 3rd person when actually they want us to design their install for them.

either learn to be truthful or expect to get hammered for asking a numpty question when you are pretending to be a skilled tradesman/lady ,

[going to school for 5weeks doesnt make you a skilled anything BTW]
c'mon steps, it was your post that implied I was fabricating a story. You know I am a 5ww as I have always been open about it, I know you cant abide us being part of the profession but please do not assume we are liars as well.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:45 ----------

As the op can I ask the next moderator just to delete this entire thread as it has created tension between members which is the last thing I want to do.

Guy, since when have I had the need to imply anything?

I'll simply say it,

did I not say your boss should know this, and shouldnt have to ask? its basic stuff.

A bit late in this thread but This is why I don't come on here that much as I read sum peoples comments and I think you need to lighten up, and move out off your mum and dads house and become a gezza not a busy bod!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts