Re: Bathroom pull cords

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dambo

Reaction score
Why are pull cords used in bathrooms? Is it just to avoid the ingress of water?

Simples I guess!
simples.bmp

Naked ,wet bodies, so no sockets , no wall switches.
Not true any more though. If you have a big enough bathroom your feet are technically dry enough for you to have a plug socket and a normal wall switch :D

AFAIK

Point taken Patchy, you have to check the zones. We are doing a bathroom tomorrow , the shower cabinet has a television and stereo radio built in . Why you need TV in a shower is beyond me but there you go ! What would you watch, Scrubs or the Soaps. Cracker ??

I've never really understood how someone can get a belt off of a non conducting plastic switch.

If you cover the lugs up with the plastic insert thingys most switches have provided now I don't see the problem.

"reasonable provision" is how the saying goes... O)

Point taken Patchy, you have to check the zones. We are doing a bathroom tomorrow , the shower cabinet has a television and stereo radio built in . Why you need TV in a shower is beyond me but there you go ! What would you watch, Scrubs or the Soaps. Cracker ??
corrie street B-) :D :^O:^O:coat

prob watch p**n, the shower provides easy clean up.

have i crossed a line, i have a tendency for doing that

Last edited by a moderator:
prob watch po*rn, the shower provides easy clean up.have i crossed a line, i have a tendency for doing that
ROTFWL

You have been thinking about that in your spare time!

I've never really understood how someone can get a belt off of a non conducting plastic switch.If you cover the lugs up with the plastic insert thingys most switches have provided now I don't see the problem.

"reasonable provision" is how the saying goes... O)
Wet hands skiding across the plastic switch - moisture seeps around the edges of the rocker, provides "tracking" path for the eletric trickery - ZzaP!!!

yeah and cheap switches tend to have a habit of arcing like a goodun when switched.

I saw a house when I was in NZ where the bathroom light switch was in zone 1 right behing where your head would be about 300mm up from the top of the bath. AND it wasnt SELV - I don't think they would know what that was!

yeah and cheap switches tend to have a habit of arcing like a goodun when switched.
All switched ark. Cheap ones have thinner plastic so you can see!

Remember - if you smell gas, don't turn the light on. Get a candle instead...........

:D

Wet hands skiding across the plastic switch - moisture seeps around the edges of the rocker, provides "tracking" path for the eletric trickery - ZzaP!!!
Hmmm yes, but the same rule should apply in kitchens then?

Anyway, not wishing to be a reg head but 701.512.3 effectively bans switches, it's just a silly reg I don't agree with and have never done :|

(It doesn't appear to be a problem in other countries)

edit: added a bit

Hmmm yes, but the same rule should apply in kitchens then?Anyway, not wishing to be a reg head but 701.512.3 effectively bans switches, it's just a silly reg I don't agree with and have never done :|

(It doesn't appear to be a problem in other countries)

edit: added a bit
EH?? you don`t agree with the "silly" 701.512.3 ???

So you`d be happy having mains switches at any point in your bathroom?

I`m sorry, that seems to be a complete & utter "silly" comment, IMO.

KME

EH?? you don`t agree with the "silly" 701.512.3 ???So you`d be happy having mains switches at any point in your bathroom?

I`m sorry, that seems to be a complete & utter "silly" comment, IMO.

KME
Agree, you're hardly likely to be walking around the kitchen in the buff splashing water everywhere, (well maybe in some parts).

There's a world of difference between a kitchen and a bathroom with regard to safety.

Bez