Re: Bathroom pull cords

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but if there was a wooden floor and all taps n radiators were well out of reach, where would the shock path go from the switch?

but if there was a wooden floor and all taps n radiators were well out of reach, where would the shock path go from the switch?
Through your wet body, along the wet floor to the nearest path to earth it could find I reckon

So you`d be happy having mains switches at any point in your bathroom?
I'm not quite sure where I said that? :_| headbang

Perhaps you thought I was advocating having an intermediate switch within the shower cubicle in case you was in the shower for a long time and it got dark and you needed the lights on? :|

The text of a forum sometimes lets a statement down. Clearly I don't think a regular switch in zone 1 or 2 is pukka... but out of reach? How is that any different to a kitchen sink?

Perhaps the regs in other countries are plain 'silly' and we have the only sensible ones.

Like grey and black in 1.0mm 3 core and E :(

Name a scenario where 3 phase would be used on a 1.0mm three core & E please. A scenario that you are likely to regularly come across would be good.

If not then perhaps we can have some silly regs? ; \

There's a world of difference between a kitchen and a bathroom with regard to safety.
Jeez... :_|

The likelyhood of water ingressing within a switch to the point that there is a touch voltage 'floating' across the surface versus all those bonded steel sinks still in existence with trailing sockets non rcd'd...? :(

:coat

Jeez... :_| The likelyhood of water ingressing within a switch to the point that there is a touch voltage 'floating' across the surface versus all those bonded steel sinks still in existence with trailing sockets non rcd'd...? :(

:coat
There are a few regs which sometimes we fail to see the logic in, and there are others which are there to help us live that little bit longer. I stand by my statement regarding kitchens, you rather contradict yourself with the above statement regarding the ingress of water to a switch. It's highly unlikely, as you infer, that you would get a shock of a switch with wet hands, infact we've probably all turned the kitchen light off with wet hands at least once, so why treat the kitchen as a bathroom?

The bathroom however, is by it's very nature a wet room, unless you have a very good extraction system or a bathroom the size of a small house, you will find most surfaces condensated up after a shower, bath etc. and there is your ingress, all ready and waiting for you to apply a finger.

We'll probably have to agree to differ on this one, but as far as I am concerned, the bathroom has earned it's place in the Special Locations list, and if they changed the regs tomorrow, I would stick with the pull switch.

Like grey and black in 1.0mm 3 core and E
I agree with you there, the choice of "colours" could have better thought out.......

Name a scenario where 3 phase would be used on a 1.0mm three core & E please. A scenario that you are likely to regularly come across would be good.

If not then perhaps we can have some silly regs? ; \
To come across regularly? ATM, I`m not doing a massive amount of 3phase.

I have seen 3&E used in a 3 phase environment. I have used it myself, once or twice (although it was 1.5mm, and had "proper" colours).

As for the rest of the post, and the "kitchen is like a bathroom" argument, I`m afraid we`ll just have to differ in opinion there mate.

KME

Its not the bathroom itself being wet thats the problem, its a naked body in the bathroom thats wet that is. The water on the surface of the skin combines with the resistance of your complete body, if you have just got out of the shower.

But the shock still needs a path and just a metre of plastic pipe with water in for instance, has enough resistivity in it to prevent shock currents being dangerous. So dampness on the floor tiles that merges with hot and cold pipes should also.

Thank you for your useful and non argumentative (in a confrontational way) replies guys.

As I said, i sometimes fail to see the logic in the 'banning' of the switch, when other countries allow it to be sited within.

Clearly there are 'regular' sized bathrooms where the situation doesn't apply, but there are also situations where a switch can be sited far enough away to be 'safe' for want of a better description.

:D

Thank you for your useful and non argumentative (in a confrontational way) replies guys.As I said, i sometimes fail to see the logic in the 'banning' of the switch, when other countries allow it to be sited within.

Clearly there are 'regular' sized bathrooms where the situation doesn't apply, but there are also situations where a switch can be sited far enough away to be 'safe' for want of a better description.

:D
But other countries do not have earthing like ours so you cannot really compare.

I'm not sure how the typical UK earthing arrangment of a light switch will stop the ingress of water from a wet hand scenario Batty?

I'm not sure how the typical UK earthing arrangment of a light switch will stop the ingress of water from a wet hand scenario Batty?
no, the earthing arrangement abroad (or lack of) means a light switch in the bathroom is acceptable.